Question about card interoperability between dp-008 and dp-03

onewheelskyward

Gear owned
n/a
I've been doing some recording with my band (since we're not playing any shows) and we've been passing the recorder back and forth, which is a bit arduous. I've been shopping them and I noticed the dp-03sd has the same functionality plus some neat features and real volume sliders, and I can find it cheaper than the dp-008ex.

My question is, can we safely pass cards between the dp-008 and the dp-03? I figure the filesystem is the same but I can't find any evidence that the dp-03 won't mess with the dp-008's data. Any hints or tips are welcome!

Bump!
I've got a DP-03sd but it's too big and needs a power supply for my sometime needs.
I'd definitely buy a DP-006 if I could transfer recording both ways by 'passing' the card between the 2.

A lot like the OP's question.

Geoff
(I don't have a clever signature)

Interested too, as I have a DP-008EX. But I suppose this can only be answered by exchanging a test card between two users who owns the two types, while recording and editing the tracks back and forth. If this would run without flaws after a few exchanges, we could be on the safe side with the assumption.

Audio files are audio files. Instead of relying on the file systems, etc., why don't you export the tracks, send them and import into the other machine? And why would you bother physically passing around an SD card when you can get things instantly on a Google Drive or Dropbox folder?

I'm a DAWless kind of guy and it seemed like an easy way to solve a space and power problem.

I think I'll get a dp006 anyway, it's cheap, small and battery powered.

I'll report back.

Geoff

you don't need a daw to pass the files back and forth,you don't even need a PC. Use google drive on your phones.oh, maybe you DO need a PC to transfer to and from the DP ??

So my DP-006 arrived (it's so cute) and I recorded a song.
Swapped SD card with DP-03SD and there's the song.
Tried it the other way and there's the 03SD songs on the 006, but only the first 4 tracks.
Like you'd imagine.
I haven't tried more complex stuff (recording on one , editing on the other ...) but if someone asks I might.

Reactions: dctdct
Yeah, nice to know. Suppose all other 8 track Pocketstudios might have 100% the same file structure and be completely interchangeable.
Sending and importing just the whole song backup would be a big benefit compared to single wave files.

Here's the gotcha!
I'm visualising this as a couple of small computers (which they are, just single function ones).
But they have only one drive.
So yes the cards will swap but where do I put the recording?
I'm old enough to remember PCs with a single floppy drive and same problem there.
Better off thinking how would I transfer from a 4 track reel to reel to an 8 track.
A handful of patches and maybe a mixer for ease should do the trick

New threads

Members online