Question re: balanced inputs (rear)

SGrecord

Gear owned
Tascam 16x8 interface
Hey Y'all - I'm new to the forum.
I'm doing some live tracking using a 16x8 and logic.
System works fine with this exception...

Some of the rear, (balanced) inputs appear in logic as "in 9" or 'in 10" - All the other rear inputs appear as "input 9" or "input 10" - these "in 9" ones seem to be routed differently.
EX: I'm getting bass and snare on one track.
what am I doing wrong?

The US-16x08's inputs "9 & 10" are on the front panel (to the right of the XLR's ch's 1-8), and they are either BALANCED line-level inputs, or UNBALANCED instrument-level (Guitar/Bass etc.) inputs depending on what you have the "LINE/INST switch" set to. The rear panel inputs (channels 11-16) are all line-level, and they are UNBALANCED when the LEVEL switch is set to -10dBV, or BALANCED when set to +4dBu.

Also, make sure you don't have the channels linked in the MIXER view of the Tascam Settings Panel software.

Last edited:
Hi cripple9 - thanks for your reply.
Yes, all that is consistent with my understanding of the system.
which would mean all physical connections and settings are "correct" for the session.
The mystery continues

Any idea why Logic would see some inputs as "in#" and some as "input#" ?
do you think that's relevant?

I'm tracking/shooting today so I'm reluctant to do it, but maybe a firmware update is needed?
Thanks

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Logic and I don't have access to any Apple devices, so I can't troubleshoot myself. I do vaguely remember some DAWs only labeling the first (odd) number for stereo pairs instead of showing both numbers (Like showing in-1 instead of in-1/2). So maybe if you have something connected to say channels 1&2 and Logic is routed to one of those pairs instead of a single input, but only labels it with one number, it could output them both. Cakewalk only showed the odd numbers by default on my machine, so I manually renamed them with an option called "Friendly Name". Hopefully Logic has a similar option -

Friendly Name2.jpg

Routing2.jpg

Other than that, I could only guess it would be some sort of internal cross-talk in the interface itself, which shouldn't be the case if you have the latest firmware/software from Tascam.

Last edited:

New threads

Staff online

Members online