Questiond before dm 4800 purchase

wnlively

Gear owned
da-30 da-30 mk2 da-40 tsr-8
Hi all
I am considering purcasing a DM 4800.
I also need some help with making a descion on this mixer. My current set up is
a RME UFX into a Mackie 32x8 buss and it sounds wondreful.
I currrently usie the Mackie for monitoring and sending signal to different musicians.
How do the pre amps sound on the dm 4800.
I would likely mainly use it as a control room monitor / mixer / comtroler

Does it play nice with pro tools ? in the windows format?

How durable is this mixer ? my mackie is biult like a tank

thanks for any help u can give

My advice: stick with the Mackie. You already know it, it sounds wonderful. And - with a little mucking about, can be adapted to a DAW. Even Protools. Perhaps not completely effectively (it's really analog, and all). But if there's a will - there's a way.

The DM4800 is too big, too complicated - and above all - too hard to learn. It can do practically anything, though. Its preamps are WAY cleaner and more transparent than the Mackie; the design, EQs, and efx are top drawer. And,it's solid state so it doesn't need a power supply bigger than a school bus. Once it's set up right, it'll remotely control ProTools; I know this for a fact, because my DM3200 runs Protools 10 without problems.

If you don't drop a DM4800 off the top of a mountain, treat it with respect, keep it clean and dry, it should last years without any problem. But there are no guarantees; monitors can go south; faders can freeze. Maybe a preamp capacitor craps out. But the same thing can happen to a Mackie; or a Neve. SoundCraft; Ghost - Yamaha, Roland........................

Anyway, just being honest. It's up to you to make the decision. Mackie 32x8s are much loved consoles. But I wouldn't trade my DM3200 for one. Even if you gave me an extra power supply to sweeten the deal. :)

CaptDan

I would agree with CaptDan, if
1. you are happy with your RME UFX and it provides you all DAW I/O you need
2. you are planning to use DM as a control room monitor mixer + DAW controller

In this case, I would suggest you to buy a dedicated control surface (Mackie Universal?) instead.

But if you are planning to use DM as a mixing console, then go ahead. DM-4800+FW card is an unbeateble solution: nice clean preamps, good A/D conversion, versatile digital patch bay, great mixining console, 32 ch of DAW I/O and a DAW controller in one package.

Does anyone know if the a/d conversion is equal to or better than the RME UFX

I see that a lot of dealears are dropping the price on the dm 4800.
sweetwatwer told me $4100 for the mixer firewire card and the meter bridge.
Any ideas on the sudden price drop ? Maybe a new mixerf in the fall?

Yes, a new mixer in the fall. It'll have two faders, three preamps and a built in guitar tuner. It might also have an MP3 player and an iPhone docking station.

In otherwords, I really don't know. And I care even less.

Seriously, if i were you, I'd try to arrange a test drive on a DM4800. It may be exactly what you want, or your worst nightmare. Better to know what you're getting into before spending any $$. Find a brick and mortar dealer, a studio, or a facility and experience some hands on time.

My 2 cents, adjusted for inflation. :)

CaptDan

Jarno said:
But if you are planning to use DM as a mixing console, then go ahead. DM-4800+FW card is an unbeateble solution: nice clean preamps, good A/D conversion, versatile digital patch bay, great mixining console, 32 ch of DAW I/O and a DAW controller in one package.

+1 :)

No Doubt alot of bank for the buck.
I do really appreciate all of the info and feed back.
Livling in ruarl North west fla its kinda hard to find a brick & motor store.
the closest Guitar center is in Tallahasse and they dont have one.

With the direction i heading ill probally purcahse a DM 4800 close to the end of May

Thanks for all of your help

Everybody here who uses a DM console has been happy with it. So, in a way, I was playing devil's advocate. Obviously, if you ask a users' forum about their gear, you'll usually get glowing reports. So, I wanted to add a little reality check to the proceedings so you didn't think we were insincere sycophants. :eek:

If you're serious, committed and focused, and are willing to put in the time to learn the console, you'll find a DM4800 (or 3200) to a be a huge value you'll continually grow to appreciate.

And that's the truth. :)

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.