Questions about Tascam 44-OB 4 track reel to reel

Discussion in 'TASCAM Analog Forum' started by bobyoung53, Jun 15, 2021.

1. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 New Member

Lima, Peru
    Gear:
    Tascam 44-OB
    How are you doing everyone? I'll make it quick, my brother-in-law just gave me a 44-OB reel to reel which was supposed to have been restored right before he bought it, he didn't realize it was basically a professional deck and never really used it, I think he bought an Akai reel to reel for his system.
    But anyway, I was thinking af setting up an analog studio with this and was wondering what would be a good board to go with this, I have noticed that M-30 boards seems to be plentiful and was wondering about opinions for this or other boards. I don't really want to spend a fortune on one but want a decent board, any hints or advice about this deck would be helpful.
    I have not received it yet so am a complete newbie with it.
  2. SkywaveTDR

SkywaveTDR Well-Known Member

Chicago area
    Gear:
    Teac, Tascam, Sony
    First you want to see if the deck works right. No need to get a board when the deck might not work right. The Tascam 44OB is many levesl above any Akai deck and those a generally junk full of lies and bad transistors anyway.
    The 4 buss mixers can work with the deck even to the level of the Model 2A but depending on how much you want to do in a studio mixer wise then you may want more input channels. Mixers are old and may have problems with them. I bought a 44OB because being a Teac Technician I know which ones are the better ones and this is it. I think it sold for about $4500 when new. It is a very solid deck that you can tell by picking it up. It has Woelke heads in them and these are also used in Studer decks.
    Goes to show you a person will throw away a Diamond and select a common rock to take home- this indicates stupidity if you ask me. If you do not want to keep the machine I have had a few guys ask me where they can get one.
    If it was restored by a typical bonehead- they it will not be restored or even work right. I come across decks all the time that are so called restored and most of them are cases of Fraud
    dctdct and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 New Member

Lima, Peru
    Gear:
    Tascam 44-OB
    Thank you, well hopefully it will work right, he said the reason he didn't want it was because it was a 4 channel deck, It has the manual with it so at least I have that. I'll be back once I get my hands on it.
  4. SkywaveTDR

SkywaveTDR Well-Known Member

Chicago area
    Gear:
    Teac, Tascam, Sony
    It is a 4 channel deck but if you use tracks 1, 3 it is the same as a stereo deck. So it has double or triple use- Stereo, Quad and Multitrack.