Questions about the tascam model 12 in a windows home studio

Apollo199

First off, hello everyone! I hope you all are happy and healthy today. I am considering buying the tascam model 12 but first i was hoping a few people could answer some questions i have. I do a mix of online streaming, and music production so im trying to find a ''do all'' mixer. One thing i need is multi tracking in windows its self. So i can take input 1 (my main mic) and use that on OBS streaming software, then use input 2,3,4 or whatever in my daw. A stereo only input wont work for me since if im streaming, People would hear the dry DI track of the guitar while im recording a processed track. Can the tascam model 12 split channels in windows like this?

Also, I was wondering if this has USB return? As in the complete windows sounds all coming in to a channel return? I read somewhere channel 1/2 is the USB return and thats ok, but I guess what i mean is, Will the audio from my daw, and the whole windows OS (discord, chrome, OBS, and my daw) all come in on the usb return? And can i set the channel i want the return on? Id really like to be able to EQ the return (typical V curve for hearing back how my finalized mixes would sound, plus for normal media enjoyment)

And lastly. Is the USB inputs on each track (if they are split up like id prefer in windows) Is the USB out, post eq? or pre eq? For example if i want to EQ my mic on the board for OBS, Will it actually work? My current mixer is USB out PRE eq, so any changes i make on eq dont even matter, it makes no tonal difference, Im hoping the tascam isnt like that.

Id like to avoid all external software like voice meter or any other routing software, If this mixer doesnt do these things without that i will probably just look somewhere else. Thanks for anyone who reads this and gets back to me!

I don't have my M12 in front me (will be a couple of weeks before i get back home) to test everything out but in my head I reckon it is still doable with the use of the ReStream plugin & a Virtual audio cable.

This video shows you the general idea on how to route audio from DAW to OBS to Discord/Zoom

So you would plug everything into the M12 and have that send to your DAW, then DAW to OBS, then OBS to Discord/Zoom. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to get audio from Discord/Zoom to your headphones/speakers esp if the M12's ASIO drivers are being used by the DAW.

Regarding the EQ, you can set it to post eq or pre eq on the m12.

Last edited:
Having a monitor controller in the studio can be a big help with getting headphone feeds.

Reactions: Stew71

New threads

Members online

No members online now.