RC-2424 cable pinout

Is this any help? Why do you need to know, are you modding something to talk to the MX? just interested.
Alan.

Attachments

• 70702 MX REAR PANEL SCHEMATIC REV A.PDF
    28.1 KB · Views: 30
  • RS232 serial cable pinout information.pdf
    121.6 KB · Views: 23
hi . thanx for answer .
no . just trying to connect it :)i bough it without cables ...

a you shure there is standard rs232 cable ?

I just read somewhere that it may be Sony protocol, so the wiring may be different. In the RS232 protocol the pins at one end are wired to different pin numbers at the other end, sony I think uses the same pins each end see attached. However the previous page I attached seems to read that it is a standard cable. So if the standard cable does not work it will be sony.

Cheers
Alan.

Attachments

• EID_RS232_Cable.jpg
    EID_RS232_Cable.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 18
  • sony protocol.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 17
Does anyone know for sure which pin out for an RS232 cable we need to connect the remote ?

That’s what I am using. Standard cable. There are tons of these laying around old computer gear, you could just try one?

Also I put all the wiring diagrams on this thread so you could check the pins on a cable before using it.

Alan

Hi Alan.

The thing which confuses me is what is a standard cable ? I looked at the Rs232 document that you posted above & there are quite a few variations on it, & none of them are called a standard RS232 cable. They also don't relate to the pin out on the MX rear panel document. which shows

Rx+ pin 3
Rx- pin 8
Tx+ pin 7
Tx- pin 2

On the rs232 document none of the possible connections show a Tx- or Rx-.

Also is the TL bus cable wired the same ?

Thanks Rob

RS232 DB9 as long as the pinout each end is the same it should work.

I think it is the same as the TL bus cable. I just grabbed the cable on my TL bus out of my computer cable junk box lol.

Alan

OK, I'll give it a try when the rc2424 turns up.

The RC2424 control protocol seems to be RS422 as I use standard RS422 cables .
My RC2424 , plus 2 MX2424, DM 24, 2 Timecode
DAT 's (Fostex) and
5 Sony Broadcast VTR's and Sony video editor are all linked to an RS422 patchbay.
In the MX2424 set up menu 340, if you choose P2,( the Sony protocol) the MX2424 is then controllable via the DM24 (or a Sony video editor).

Thanks for the info Ittol.

My RC2424 arrived last week & I tried it out yesterday with some standard RS232 cables (i.e not null modem cables), that I think are just wired straight through on all pins. It worked very well. I then hooked up my second MX2424 with another standard RS232 cable on the TL bus from my first MX2424 & it all worked well. I'm going to make a longer cables for the remote so when I eventually get a machine room set up I can still use it.

Hi Rob,
RS232 and RS 422 cables are both serial. The only difference is that the RS422 has twisted pair.
Anyway, as long as the length are short, RS232 cables will work for RS 422. The RS 422 protocol allows to connect up to ten devices instead of 2 for the RS232. Since the MX2424 allows to connect up to 8 devices ( other MX, DVD Ram, HDD,) it uses the RS 422.
You can check the difference between both protocols here:
https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/difference-between-RS232-RS422-and-RS485.html

Ittol. Ok, Thanks, I understand that, but how long do you think I can make the control cable without using twisted pair ? I would like maybe 8 metres. Maybe the best thing to do is just try it.

No problem Rob, I use Sony RS422 cables for the long ones, but I also use standard DB9 serial cables (Lindy) for length up to 10 meters, without any trouble, the control functions and the time code are transmitted perfectly. The twisted pairs are necessary for long cables mainly because they keep the impedance constant.

Rob, today I connected directly my RC2424 to the master MX24 ( the slave using the TL bus) with a 1om long straight (no twisted pairs) DB9 cable and it works perfectly. Now I'm returning to my original set-up with the RS 422 patchbay.

I just tested my setup with a straight through, pin to pin 10m cable with no twists. it works perfectly also.

Hey Guys, I just got a RC-2424 too, and finally a working MX-2424. I am a happy camper now.

My question is: Where is good source to find these cables inexpensively?

Thanks in advance!

Nathan.

shame your not local to me, the electronics company I work for part time has 1000's of them, they come in with equipment we purchase and we don't use them as we use our own special cable.

I used to buy these from my local electronics store, they did not cost too much, ebay?

Alan

I bought a couple of cheap cables in ebay to test the rc, & then made my own using crimped Dsub connectors.

New threads

Members online