Re-recording Tracks, Akai MPC ONe

zzddee

Hi
I'm thinking of getting a Model 12 to work with the Akai MPC One. As I've done some recording on a VS1680 before and really like the virtual tracks system, so I was wondering how I can get this to work with the Model 12. And there are some answers I didn't find in the manuals.

1) After tracks are recorded onto the SD card, lets say I didn't like track 4, but I don't want it totally erase, when re-recording on track 4 (channel 4) would the 1st recorded track be erased? or would the 1st pass of track 4 be saved under a new name?
2) Can I renamed the tracks pior to recording or only done afterwards?

If there are any users using it with the Akai MPC,
could you tell me which OS on the Model 12 and the MPC ONE that you have it working 'glitch' free?

I have both a Model 12 and an Akai MPC Live.
The Model 12 doesn’t have virtual tracks. When you rerecord on track 4 the previous take is no longer available. But I’m guessing that the actual file is still left intact on the SD-card, but you can’t access it from within the Model 12. I’m not sure.
There are several ways to work using both machines.
1. Using them ”separately” but synced (Model 12 is master, MPC the slave).
2. Recording on the Model12 and then transfer the files to the MPC to continue the work there … or …
3. Recording on the MPC and then transfer the files to the Model12 and continue the work there.
4. As #1 but after all recording is done you transfer all files, both the Model 12’s and the MPC’s to a computer and continue/finish the song there using a DAW with all it’s mixing functionality.

This last way is how I’ve done stuff. You get more tracks to record using both machines and when all the recording is done I can put guitars and microphones away and turn on the computer and start doing the tedious computer stuff, mixing, editing and so on (I really hate looking at computer screens).

Is there a way to rename files after you have recorded onto the Model 12 then? So I could maybe keep those files for later to switch between them? There's an import function. But no mention of renaming or such or even saving files.

Yes I'm trying to avoid working with the computer as well that's why I wanted to try to work as much as possible with the MPC.

After reading around, I guess the only way to save takes is to transfer to the computer, rename it or save it to a folder and then continue working with the model 12 and mpc and at the end, edit and mix on the computer.

Btw, Logrinn, which OS version of Model 12 and the Akai are you using that works glitch free?

If you save a mix of your single track panned hard, you could do the stereo mix export which will save it under a new name at least until the next stereo mix export.
Conveniently the mix is saved to the MUSIC folder, which is where you can import audio files from in the track edit import function..
it’s a fudge of course, but would at least give you one level of safety net if you were careful.

The Model 12 have the latest os version: 1.30, but I haven't uploaded the latest version OS to the AKAI MPC Live.
But that's not really important in my scenario since they have both been working together (syncing the MPC with the Model 12 that is) since the beginning, that is since they both were 1.0 or whatever version they had at the time I first hooked them together.

In other words I have been using them "separately" but synced together, just like you would with an old multitrack tape machine and syncing a sequencer to it using midi time code.

So there's really nothing "glitch free" to think about - they just work together. Just like any midi device can slave to any midi master device as long as the midi implementation says so.

Or to put in other words - I'm not transferring any audio files between the two. The audio files that are recorded on either machine can be copied to any DAW for additional work.

Hope that makes sense.

Ok I see how you use it.
Well just for your info, there are lots of reports that using the Model 12 as an audio interface with the MPC One on OS.2.11.7 causes glitches during playback. As I don't own much outboard gear, I want to utilize the MPC as both a sequencer and effects processor.
Well I guess I'll have to experiment when I get the model 12 and see what works.
Thanks for sharing!

New threads

Staff online

Members online