Really Flat sound from DM4800

welchwelch

Gear owned
dm 4800
I hooked up a CD recorder to my Dm4800 and notice that the unit is lacking in the mids and bass, I was a using a CD (a store bought proffesional one) to listen to as a reference and notice how flat it sounded, I use my monitor with other mixers and they sounded better(my monitors are peavy pmr 380s, yamaha ns10, and behringer powered monitors) I record techno, R&B, and Hiphop, some jazz, I was wondering did anyone else notice this, I even thought about putting an EQ in my monitor path, but not sure how it would effect my mix, can anyone weigh in on this, I don't know anyone elese here with this board so I can't compare it to another one to see if something is wrong

Something is wrong.

If you're not getting kids and bass through your console, then you've hooked it up wrong or have a EQ curve set for the channels in question or SOMETHING. My DM3200 puts out almost exactly what you put into it.

How did you hookup your new CD recorder?

I hooked them up through the 2trx in (unbalanced), I tried it again this afternoon, and found out the settings on the speakers themselves were wrong, I think that was the problem, I moved my studio and I guess I have to get use to the rooms acoustic

welchwelch said:
I hooked them up through the 2trx in (unbalanced), I tried it again this afternoon, and found out the settings on the speakers themselves were wrong, I think that was the problem, I moved my studio and I guess I have to get use to the rooms acoustic

Some people think it's a good idea to put an EQ between the console and monitor system. I think that's the worst thing you can do - UNLESS - you've conducted a thorough reference/analysis. That means checking, cross checking, and auditioning mixes on a variety of playback systems to ensure they translate from mix room to living room. Only then should a 'mechanical' means be employed to attenuate or boost frequencies otherwise rendered acoustically problematic.

I think the same thing applies to speaker switches and filters; they should be left 'off' unless some acoustic problem in your studio can't be compensated. And even then, an effort should be made to alleviate flutter, bass/treble distortion, slap back, comb filtering, and other demons intruding on the audio 'flatness.' Because the last thing any engineer should want is for the audio to sound good at the expense of sounding accurate.

But, you already know this, right? :)

CaptDan

Thanks, I think it was a combination of things I did wrong when I moved and hooked everything up in the new room

New threads

Members online

No members online now.