Recommend a computer to use viewnet

Nate Flanigan

Gear owned
mx2424
Hello, I've been thinking it would be nice to have the option to use the viewnet software with some material I've been working on lately. My current computer is a 2016 iMac and it won't open the the installer files. I've found an old G4 locally (that also has a scsi port) running 10.4.
So my questions are, would this machine be able to run viewnet? Can you recommend a system that would? What OS can I go up to?

Thanks so much!

You should use MXview, rather than viewnet whch is not as good.

Right, that's what I meant to say. Any insights on system requirements for MXview?

So, I decided to go a different route. I found an old PC laptop at work running windows 7. I've set up virtual PC with windows NT. I've got MX-VIEW installed, and it opens without any problems. However I can't connect to my MX2424 yet, I don't have a crossover cable on hand.

Just curious, what are the differences between MX-view and viewNet?

Don't even bother with viewnet, mx view is far better. viewnet was a very early interface software, mxview can along later and was much improved. I don't think you can run all the capabilities of that later MX2424 operating system versions with viewnet, and I don't think you will have any joy trying to run it on windows 7.

Alan

Got it, I initially thought they served completely different purposes.

I'm sure I'll have some follow up questions once I grab the right connection cable.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.