Recorded my album on 424 mkii

BDolzani

From
Connecticut
Gear owned
424 mkII, DP24SD
Hi all, I'm a full-time, long time singer/songwriter and touring artist in the folk/Americana genre. Over the years I've used the cassette portastudios to record, like we all did, and for the first time recorded my latest entire (quarantine!) record on cassette and released it officially (DIY/Indie). I love the sound and the recording process - no computer screen, all 4 tracks recorded straight through, no punch ins. I played all instruments myself.

The recordings started out as 'demos' and just getting my songs down in the basement while not traveling or performing much at all during 2021. Then I realized I wanted to release it as-is.

If you'd like to take a listen, here is the bandcamp streaming link:
https://briandolzani.bandcamp.com/album/we-are-magic

Just as a caveat: Last year I bought a DP24, as I really wanted more than 4 tracks, and still no computer. I wish I could keep analog but I didn't see any other way besides a 2-inch-like tape machine which isn't going to happen in my house. It's sat for a year untouched, as I'm hesitant to jump into the tiny screen and hard to wrap my head around the file management. I'm now ready with new songs, but I fear I might lose or misplace my tracks, or something awkward. Tape is so obvious, which is why I love it.

I know this is the analog section, but any advice on moving to the DP24?

Thanks if you checked out the music, I'm curious your thoughts.

cheers-
Brian Dolzani

Last year I bought a DP24, as I really wanted more than 4 tracks, and still no computer...I'm hesitant to jump into the tiny screen and hard to wrap my head around the file management. I'm now ready with new songs, but I fear I might lose or misplace my tracks, or something awkward...any advice on moving to the DP24?
Welcome to the forums, Brian.

The DP-24/32/SD series is a very stable and error free platform. In the 2488/DP-24/32/SD area, you'll find a wealth of information on using your DP-24 portastudio.

In the sticky (shaded) section at the top of the first page, you'll find the excellent, free "Tutorial and Informational Videos" series created by Phil Tipping. That should give you a good idea of how easy it can be to make music with a digital portastudio.

The DP-24 screen is surprisingly easy to work with, as you'll see in Phil's videos.

File management isn't an issue. The firmware takes care of all that right on the SD card.

When you're done with a project, you have some choices for preserving your work:
  • You can connect your DP-24 to a computer using the onboard USB and copy the entire song, or even the entire SD card to back it up.
  • You can pop the SD card out and copy its contents to a computer.
  • You can copy your master stereo recording to a computer for upload to streaming services; and/or burn your song (or several) to a CD recorder.
To help maximize use of your DP-24, I strongly suggest you first read the "DP-24/32/SD New Members..." sticky thread in the 2488/DP-24/32/SD forum.

Best of luck.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BDolzani
@BDolzani Welcome to the Tascam Forums Brian. You have some great tunes - very well written and well performed. I liked what I heard and I think you have some potential hits in that collection. All I can say is that your music could benefit greatly by having a pro mix and master those tunes. The spectrum is roughly OK but you need depth and width. I can tell that a lot of effort went into those tunes and I want to encourage you, not discourage you though!

Edit: I listened to some of your previous work and I take it back, lol. You did that last record on the 4 track. I like your tunes a lot man. The DP-24 can record very clean tracks and you should go ahead and dive right in.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Brian.
To help maximize use of your DP-24, I strongly suggest you first read the "DP-24/32/SD New Members..." sticky thread in the 2488/DP-24/32/SD forum.

Best of luck.:)

Hi Mark, I truly thank you for this comprehensive reply. I will definitely review the videos and get up the gumption to get started. I have faith in the system/unit, it's just the jitters of a new thing. Thanks again!

brian

Reactions: Mark Richards
@BDolzani Welcome to the Tascam Forums Brian. You have some great tunes - very well written and well performed. I liked what I heard and I think you have some potential hits in that collection. All I can say is that your music could benefit greatly by having a pro mix and master those tunes. The spectrum is roughly OK but you need depth and width. I can tell that a lot of effort went into those tunes and I want to encourage you, not discourage you though!

Edit: I listened to some of your previous work and I take it back, lol. You did that last record on the 4 track. I like your tunes a lot man. The DP-24 can record very clean tracks and you should go ahead and dive right in.

Thanks very much!! I appreciate you listening. Yes believe it or not I just mixed on the 424 with one outboard Lexicon reverb unit. I then exported to Audacity and sent the files to my mastering engineer, who definitely made a big difference. He did a bunch of EQ on aspects like the hi-hat frequency which at times wasn't very pleasant. I only used 1 mic/1 channel on the drums! It's all the track real estate I could afford.

My goal was definitely the idea of (hopefully) great songs recorded as indie as possible. As a product of the pandemic.

So yea to be clear, looking at my bandcamp page, it was just We Are Magic that I recorded on the 424. Also the George Floyd single and an older EP called Love, Blues. All other recent albums were in proper studios, and sound great. However this one (Magic) feels like the most me as it's all my playing and low-fi vibe.

Having said that, I'm all for trying to be as professional and skilled as possible. At this moment I'm very interested in seeing what I can do with the DP24 and learning as much mixing and recording as I can on my own. However, I do like the idea of tracking here at home and getting a pro mix and master.

Excited to dive in! thanks once again @mjk

Reactions: -mjk-
Many people are using the DP machines to cut tracks and then exporting them for mixing/mastering. I think you'll find that the DP-24 will suit your needs for that. Your considerable experience will help a great deal too.

I listened to entire album I like it a lot great job. I wish it was on cassette.

Dp will probably inspire you which is great when that happens. Back up back up back up! Can’t say it enough to bu. Read the manual and go thru the tutorial videos that are on the dp page they’re great. For me, doing what’s on tutorial while watching it helps me learn what’s being taught.
That little screen is big enough imho I didn’t think it would be but it works great. My dp is a great tool. I have many tools including 4 and 8 track cassettes. Everything I have inspires me and I have fun with each of my tools for recording.

You can sketch on 4 trk transfer to dp continue working. Once you learn it and it’s not difficult, you’ll love working with it just bu bu bu! :)

Very appreciated @Caveman ! I wish it was on cassette too...when I made my first album on CD in 1998 I had one friend who refused to get a CD player. The only option at the time was 1000 CD's and 500 tapes. So I got the tapes for him! And maybe sold a handful more :).

Thanks for the confidence! cheers-
brian

I know that this is an old thread but I wanted to say that I checked out the album and I love it!you have some incredibly catchy tunes there.
I have it in heavy rotation on my Spotify playlist

New threads

Members online

No members online now.