Recording from mac, monitoring on external JBL's

caphro

Gear owned
dp24
Im sending a stereo signal from my mac (sometimes a Yamaha sequencer) out to the DP24.

Mentally struggling to comprehend whether i should:

1. be using two inputs (mono?) in the Tascam to separate L and R
or
2. just going into the Tascam with one stereo input

Related, for my monitor mix, and if 1 (above), should i pan these two L & R inputs or leave them straight up?

Newb trying to take advantage of the social distancing and make some music. Thanks for the help!

Hi Caphro. Welcome to the Tascam Forums.

The DP machines do not have a stereo input. The input channels are mono, so you should use separate inputs for left and right. How you record them into the machine is entirely up to you.

If you want to record the audio from the Mac in stereo, then you can use either two mono tracks and hard pan L/R, or use a stereo track. Just be sure to assign the input sources properly.

Amazing, thanks for the reply. That was my instinct to go left/right into two mono inputs. Wasn't sure what to do with the pans at that point, but will try hard L/R and see if that sounds like what i think i should be hearing.

Really appreciate the response and glad to be here.

Reactions: -mjk-
If both channels of audio are identical (mono on 2 channels) then panning won't make any difference. However, if the signal is stereo, then the only way to hear it in stereo is to pan from center to full L/R. I normally use a stereo track for stereo sources like keyboards.

Yeah so im going from
MAC (stereo out) --> split to two left and right input channels (Hosa breakout cable) to the DP-24 --> using the Tascam DP-24 as a mixer.

I will be trying to pan each input hard L and hard R, before going out to monitors (single 1/4") outputs, one to each monitor L and R.

Just documenting for clarity. Appreciate the help.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.