Recording House Mix

Dennis Fieger

From
Dundee Oregon
Gear owned
model 16 mixer
Model 16 owner. Forgive me for what might be a basic, rookie question but I'd like to know if there is a way to record the mix that is being sent to the mains (FOH). We are wanting to scrutinize the blend of our instruments and vocals and want to hear what we are sending out to the listeners to find the areas that need correction. We ask family, friends, and other musicians to listen and advise when they are around. The problem with this is we get video clips from various sources and when reviewing them the mix at times is not balanced. If we can capture what we're sending out we'll know where to put our focus.

The Model 16 can simultaneously record up to 16 tracks, the Main Mix is always recorded on tracks 15-16 each time you press the REC button in the transport section.
When satisfied with your performance you can export the Main Mix L/R tracks to a stereo WAV file with MENU->STEREO MIX EXPORT (press YES button to confirm). Exported tracks are saved in the MUSIC folder.

@Dennis Fieger but using the mix of the Mains will not tell you what you want to know, either. That live mix mix is missing the contribution of the stage volume. That can make a considerable difference. Most live sound engineers record a pair of mics at the back of the room (but don't put them in the house!). Since you probably don't want to take up 2 channels/tracks on the Model 16 doing that, you can use a hand-held recorder and then add those tracks to the session later.

Reactions: Arjan P
Yeah, what @-mjk- said. But I'd add that the best (or most realistic) position for stereo mics for live sound would be the location of the FOH mixer. That is after all where the mix decisions are made - and ideally it should be the best acoustic location in the venue.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for clarifying my "back of the room" comment @Arjan P. I assumed that everyone knows that. The room mics should be placed where the mix decisions are made.

New threads

Members online