Recording Model 12 Effects into Logic Pro

JackD

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12, Porta
Hello! I just got a Tascam Model 12 and I have to say I am loving all the connectivity convenience, the tones, the EQ and compression... it's a solid unit. Any way, I just have one issue with it so far.

I have the Model 12 as my audio source for Logic Pro. I've dialed in a nice compression, EQ, and verb strip (sending to the FX channel, returning to "main") for Channel 3, pedal steel. I press record on Logic, play my part. When I listen back on Logic, none of the EQ/compression/verb are on the audio. What am I doing wrong?

I would attach a video but for some reason it's not letting me. If I can just figure this out, I'd be 100% sold on this thing...

The 24 and 16 send the signal out before the channel strip (but after the compressor, for some reason); I believe the 12 works the same.

The Model series are meant to work like the old desk and tape machine systems: you record dry, then in mix down you EQ and add FX.

I hope this helps somewhat. If the 12 does, in fact, work differently, I’m sure someone here will chime in with some instructions as to how to do so.

Check page 54 if the M12 manual.

You might try setting the mixer MTR/USB send to post fader. Only the 12 has this selectable feature (a benefit of its digital architecture).

That feature for sure will allow you to capture on the SD card your individual recording tracks post EQ ( but not post effects unless you patch cable from stereo monitor back to a set of unused channels).

I am not sure if this feature will also effect the position of the send to your DAW via usb but I suspect it will do what you want...Again FX are different...

For individual channels this can't be done. This is because the effects are pooled for processing and are returned to main/sub/aux2. When it comes to individual channel sends to SD card, your options are 1) pre-comp, 2) post-comp, or 3) post-EQ.

Effects are SENT from channels individually, but are not returned to individual channels

Because there's no individual effects return there's nothing to record.

Confusingly, there IS a per-channel post-fader option in the manual, but it won't solve your issue: It only affects the location of sends from a channel to the Aux1 bus...and since the effects don't return to the channel, this won't solve your issue even if you set it to post-fader.

In any case, if you want to record a single channel w/ effects you have two choices
1) For the main mix, there's a button control. Search "POST REC switch" in the manual. It's a button right above the main fader which will send to SD card post-main-fader.

1a) You can always split a single mono channel out by using PAN controls on the channel strips. If you do that, and if you limit yourself to effects which respect that pan, then you will end up with an all-digital path and one half of your main stereo mix will be that channel, w/ effects.

2) Send effects to sub bus and return via patch cord to the input(s) of an open channel, which will then "print" the effects no matter what setting you have it on.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.