Recording without Monitoring

BobDobbs

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
Hi there just joined and havent had my Model 24 for 24 hours yet but I had a quandary last night.
Im using the model 24 for band practice and recording. There are various mics (vocal and drums) and instruments connected. For my output Im using 2 Mackie powered PA speakers. They were connected to the Main output via XLR which didn't work for the following reason.

How do I record my band without having all the audio going to the main Speakers? I really only want vocals to go to the mains. I don't want my guitar signal and the drums going into the main speakers

I talked to TASCAM last night and their solution was to connect the PA speakers to "Control Room" and mute and unmute by using the PFL button. This works but it really seems as though its the wrong way of doing it.

I was under the impression that the Fader only controls the signal going to the mains not what was being recorded to the SD card. It seems as though Im missing something very simple.

I have a M12 so it has a little more flexibility about where the SD recordings are picked up (pre-comp, pre-eq or post-eq), but doesn't the M24 record immediately after the compressor, before the rest of the channel strip? Meaning that no matter how you set the EQ, pan, faders, mute, etc. the SD recording will be unaffected, so you can mix however you want going to the mains.

Reactions: BobDobbs
The Model 16 and 24 records to SD card ONLY post compressor. It’s one of the downsides of the design in my opinion… a pre/post switch would have been a great add.

(the physical placement of the switch and knobs on the board is slightly misleading; the compressor comes BEFORE the routing switch and SD recorder in the actual circuit. )

the only way to use the compressors on playback of a track is to route the playback down its original channel strip, and then out either sub or aux jacks and back into another (unused) channel with a patch cable so you can tweak the compression (and the gain).

which is fine (signal path is all analog except the actual recording), except there is a finite number of out jacks and tracks, and you have to be good at setting gains structures…

One can also compress multiple tracks (eg a whole drum kit) or even the master mixdown using this same approach, and effects can also be added to individual tracks in this same way.

just takes time, track space, and physical wires. It’s old school style!

For me, as a beginner, when I take the time to get it right, it can sound truly awesome. But if I don’t sweat those details of the gains etc and really tweak things (solo vs in the mix) then the results are sometimes less than stellar.

Reactions: BobDobbs
Thanks all I figured out my issue. It was completely user error and a pretty dumb one at that. One shouldn't play with a device that has a million buttons and knobs without fully understanding how it works first.

Derp

Reactions: -mjk- and AltTuning
I've watched so many tutorials, read the manual at least twice, and I'm still figuring out how to do things on my M12. Glad you were able to get it to work!

Thanks all I figured out my issue. It was completely user error and a pretty dumb one at that. One shouldn't play with a device that has a million buttons and knobs without fully understanding how it works first.

Derp

As painful that that may be, it would help the knowledge base if you were to reveal the solution. Thanks.

New threads

Members online