Recordings lost after power shotdown

Mat. Bass

Gear owned
DP-006
Hello,

I'm new here and I need some help before I get killed by my band members.
We made some recordings on my dp-006 device friday night.
After all was recorded, I pressed SUR stop and I listened for 5 minutes or less.
All was right. Then we have got a power shot down before I got the time to stopped the device correctly.
And now there are no recordings.
I know there are on the SD carte in MTR version, but I can't get them.
If anybody can help me out?
Greetings from France

Mat

Hey Mat. I'm new to this board so only just saw your message. A similar thing happened to me and I lost around 10 hours of work - couldn't find any way to retrieve it. Did you ever find a solution or did your bandmates kill you? Greetings from Scotland!

Reactions: -mjk-
Really annoying if you really lost your daywork. I had this back in the years when I was programming: Similar situation. In any case you should integrate some backup/external copy strategy in your multitracker workflow. Loosing a few hours is annoying but not catastrophic. Loosing a whole week... :eek:
For my multitrack device I follow these procedures:
  • As these smaller units are really portable, I have always batteries in the device: This ensures uninterrupted power supply if a mains shortage occours.
  • After many recordings and editing, mixing etc. I always make a backup of the song before I switch off.
  • Once in a week I save the backups to my computer (which is synced daily to my cloud)
  • After a song version is finished (mastered, exported, published...) I backup a last copy of that song
  • I keep track of all my songs in a song sheet on my computer (could also be paper based)
This might help for a bigger crash, indipendent of the reason (mains, SD card, user error, to mention a few)

The importance of backups cannot be overemphasized....

Really annoying if you really lost your daywork. I had this back in the years when I was programming: Similar situation. In any case you should integrate some backup/external copy strategy in your multitracker workflow. Loosing a few hours is annoying but not catastrophic. Loosing a whole week... :eek:
For my multitrack device I follow these procedures:
  • As these smaller units are really portable, I have always batteries in the device: This ensures uninterrupted power supply if a mains shortage occours.
  • After many recordings and editing, mixing etc. I always make a backup of the song before I switch off.
  • Once in a week I save the backups to my computer (which is synced daily to my cloud)
  • After a song version is finished (mastered, exported, published...) I backup a last copy of that song
  • I keep track of all my songs in a song sheet on my computer (could also be paper based)
This might help for a bigger crash, indipendent of the reason (mains, SD card, user error, to mention a few)

Thanks for the tips, dctdct. Losing stuff can be pretty heartbreaking. Can you tell me more about what you mean by a song sheet please? You mean detailed notes on your songs?

I try doing it as professionally as possible, but still keeping a sense of proportion, because it is just my hobby. Having said that I still keep track of the hierarchy and the different stages of the songs.

Top tier is my song list in a spreadsheet, which points to the songfiles and includes on the same line SD card, MTR partition, songfile name (only 8 characters for Pocketstudios), staging information (record, mixdown, mastering, publish...). And backup information.
(sheet layout still under development)

For the single song (which can exist in several versions in different songfiles) I'm using a plain text document with header information and below notes of activities like a BLOG.

An early test example:
Working title = TRILL
Workfile song DP = T05B
Masterfile = TRILL05B.WAV (= 00:04 - 05:25) 16bit 44,1kHz
Platform = soundcloud = WAV 16bit 44,1kHz
Platform = private cloud = MP3
Song information:
Bass rythm > Moog Grandmother (sequenced)
Organ > Korg CX-3 II
Strings > Waldorf Streichfett

Recording:
Tr08 = GM ~45 bpm basis
Tr01+02 = CX3 lead until 03:50, fading out
Tr03+04 = SF backing, from 03:50 on lead

Activity BLOG:
10:05 20.04.2021

xxx
xxx
xxx​

Below the single song is the track tier, which I use (again as a spreadsheet) only for complex songs. Good examples in this discussion thread:
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp32-track-sheet.6038/

(Edit translation errors)

Last edited:
Thanks very much for sharing that, dctdct. It's kind of you to provide the template. I think this is a solid strategy going forward. As it stands, I go old school and keep pretty basic notes in a notepad but I think I'd benefit from documenting in a bit more detail (along with the other tips you mentioned).

New threads

Members online

No members online now.