Recovering MTR files after power loss: possible?

fkProducer

Gear owned
TASCAM Model 12
Last night, we had a long podcast recording session using my TASCAM Model 12. When recording ends, the operator is supposed to press the “stop recording” button, which ends recording and closes the multitrack .wav files. That button wasn't pressed before the mixer was turned off, unfortunately (it was a long night, and the talent was in a hurry to disconnect cables and such). In looking at the files on the SD card, there’s a directory for the recording session in the MTR folder, but only the minimal, initially created .wav files are visible, not the full recording.

Here’s my question: I’m pretty sure these files are written as they are recorded (but the files weren't closed properly), so I’m wondering whether they are recoverable using some file recovery utility (Recuva, DMDE, etc.). Any thoughts or experience with this? It looks like one might be able to edit the song.sys file and the file length fields of the individual .wav files to recover them, but I thought I would ask before pursuing this further or re-recording.

but I thought I would ask before pursuing this further or re-recording.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums @fkProducer. Unfortunately, it seems that the topics related to file recovery are about either recording over or erasing files. You can find detailed help with searches here: https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/38091/

Depending upon how important your production schedule is, IIWY (If I Were You), I would re-record the show on another SD card while pursuing a solution. IIWY I would also go ahead and try those tools you mentioned and at least see what is visible to them on the card. I don't think you are doing to get a definitive answer and I wouldn't wait IIWY. If you do recover the file after re-recording you'll end up with more material for a better show so I wouldn't consider it a wasted effort.

Thank you for your response. That sounds like a good approach to the problem. This was a self-inflicted wound, but it would be similar to what would happen if power were lost during a recording. I will probably start backing up at least the main mix on an external recorder like the DR-40, which can use battery power.

Reactions: -mjk-
I do feel your pain. I once recorded a special guest at a meeting and before I could stop the recording, someone sitting next to my wall wort power supply just unplugged it for me. After all, the talk was over, right? No file to recover. Done. Finished.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.