Remote control for Tascam SX series

Hubert Temba

From
Minneapolis MN
Website
www.huberttemba.com
Gear owned
Tascam SX 1LE
I’m looking for a remote control for Tascam SX -1 or for any of the recorder series so I can remotely record my drums and other instruments. I’m doing all myself.

Hubert - I believe that the SX-1 machines have supported the Sony P2 remote control protocol ever since the 1.5 version of the OS came out (from past discussion I think your machines are using 1.52) I suspect that Tascam's RC-828 Remote Controller also uses that protocol even though they were originally introduced for remote controlling the DA-38 and DA-98 Digital recorders (they used the Hi-8 Video Cassette recording media). I have seen the RC-828 on eBay for about $80.00 but CANNOT confirm that it is P2 protocol compliant - it could be it uses a Tascam protocol the predates the P2 protocol used by the SX-1. IF is P2 compliant, then a cable that connects it to the SX-1 is all that I think you would need. Maybe someone who is familiar with the DA-98 can verify what protocol it used for remote control. I did find a software product that is a software implemented P2 Protocol Remote control for VTRs that looks like it runs soon Windows PCs. That might provide you with transport control via RS-422 9-pin cable. It can be found by searching for Sourceforge Sony RS-422 VTR Controller. All this stuff is legacy - circa 2005.

If you have some solid electronics experience, you could use a shield cable (via connector you would have to add to the SX-1) to parallel the transport buttons on the from panel of the SX-1 and run it to a duplicate set of pushbutton switches but this would take a lot of work and could be risky!

Probably cheaper to just buy a portable 8 channel machine like a Zoom R16 and transfer the files to your computer and then from it to the SX-1 in FTP mode using the ethernet connection. Plus you get a nice compact stand alone location recorder.

RussD,

I assume you would connect the RC-828 via the RS422 port? That’s how I currently connect my two SX-1’s together. Or, are you suggesting connection via ADAT sync out?

Thanks!
Henry

Hey guys,
Thank you for your help and creative ideas.

I want to be able punch into recording remotely. And stop when done. Any remote control that stops the recorder or starts it as I try to engineer and record my instruments one by one will help me. Any idea of the simplest means to remotely control the SX-1 recorder will be appreciated.
Thank you.
— Hubert

Hubert,

This is on page 195 of the SX1 Reference Manual:

“FOOTSWITCH Connect a momentary-style pedal here for remote control of recording (punching in or out). The polarity (that is, whether the pedal is normally open or normally closed) of the pedal is set on the LCD PREFERENCES screen.”

Maybe with a long enough cable to the foot pedal this would get the job done for you.

New threads

Members online