Remote Controlling DM 4800 with mobile device?

rmandelbaum

From
Austin, TX
Website
www.robertmdrums.com
Gear owned
DM4800
I apologize if this has been covered, The Presonus boards as well as the MOTU devices are doing this.

The ability to run the core mixing functions but more important and the reason for my question....

The ability to let musicians control their own monitor mix.

This means when recording a band all at the same time or at a gig, they can control their mix without expensive hardware.

This is to me is a huge advantage over me setting up mixes that always will change as things get going.

Or is there a way to use something to talk to the daw and have it control to aux sends on the DM?

It would take come creative routing to do what you are asking, but I have been using my ipad to wirelessly control my daw, which, in turn also controls my DM. I have been using a program called AC-7 Core HD, which is great for starting, stopping, rewinding, FFW, mute, solo, arm and record tracks with full remote fader contol (8 at a time). This has been handy for me as my drums are in a seperate drum/tracking room from my control room where the DM is. I can cue up my project, take my ipad into my drum room, with AC-7 already fired up (you need a small free program called RTP and apple's Bonjour installed on your Windows PC to make it work) and hit record. When done, I can go back and listen to what I just recorded and even go back and try a different take. It has a jog shuttle, function keys a master fader, SEL and pan control. There are also 12 different daw templates.

As for headphone mixes, if you control the headphone mixes via folder tracks or grouped tracks in your daw, you could set it up where the faders of those tracks could be controlled by your ipad, using this program. I believe you are visuallizing several peolpe controlling there own mixes from one project on their own ipads. It's only 1 ipad at a time, i think. I have only one to test it with.

I have also used Frontier's "Tranzport" which also works fine. But the AC-7 core HD is a very easy to use, and I can controll ALL the tracks in my daw (again, 8 at a time), as well as the DM's faders.
give it a try.
S

I think the new Tascam mixers will address this in a very complete and elegant way.

captdan said:

if i read this correctly it seems to be a different thing. this is a soft 4 track, not a remote control surface for a DM4800. Do I have that right?

I have seen an ipad app in the itunes store called v control pro that claims to be able to provide remote control of protools and other DAWs over wifi. Do you know anything about it?

You might be interested in the Behringer Powerplay P-16 system; poor man's Aviom, with great features though.

It has 16 ch ADAT plus 16 analogs for input. Every musician can then have 16 channels at their disposal for personal headphone mixing. I considered getting it myself, but don't have enough occasions where I'd really use it.

I'm afraid we're not talking about the same thing here. Which analog preamps? The P-16 converter takes line outputs (analog sends) or ADAT from the DM. Then distributes those 16 channels digitally (max 24-96k I believe) to all connected personal mixers via ethernet.

if i read this correctly it seems to be a different thing. this is a soft 4 track, not a remote control surface for a DM4800. Do I have that right?

Apologies, I was being facetious. Winter NAMM has come and gone; Tascam have made no mention of any 'new mixers' - at least with regard to replacing or upgrading the venerable DM series. However, there's always the Summer NAMM to look forward to. :)

As for remote controlling ProTools, I use a Frontier TransPort, like several others here. It's a perfect complement to the DM; gives me all I need to self produce tracks remotely: levels, track choice, arming, mute, stop, start. However, it has no means to provide a group of performers individual control over their Aux/earphone levels. Apparently iPod - and or Behringer, et al - have that covered.

CaptDan

captdan said:

Apologies, I was being facetious. Winter NAMM has come and gone; Tascam have made no mention of any 'new mixers' - at least with regard to replacing or upgrading the venerable DM series. However, there's always the Summer NAMM to look forward to. :)

As for remote controlling ProTools, I use a Frontier TransPort, like several others here. It's a perfect complement to the DM; gives me all I need to self produce tracks remotely: levels, track choice, arming, mute, stop, start. However, it has no means to provide a group of performers individual control over their Aux/earphone levels. Apparently iPod - and or Behringer, et al - have that covered.

CaptDan

Ah, right. Sorry I didn't pick up on the joke. tone of writing is tough in email sometimes. i will check out transPort for sure, exactly what need, on paper at least.

B2RPW said:
i will check out transPort for sure, exactly what need, on paper at least.
Yes, I'm with Capt Dan here; TranzPort is a great little device for remote control. You'll have to search for one (used, perhaps) since they're out of production, though there's no sign of it at the Frontier Design website...

Arjan P said:
B2RPW said:
i will check out transPort for sure, exactly what need, on paper at least.
Yes, I'm with Capt Dan here; TranzPort is a great little device for remote control. You'll have to search for one (used, perhaps) since they're out of production, though there's no sign of it at the Frontier Design website...

oh, its hardware? I thought it was an ipad app. I'd like to find a software solution using ipad if possible. have you tried any of those?

B2RPW said:
oh, its hardware? I thought it was an ipad app.
Yes it is. And that's why I'm 99% sure every Tranzport owner still uses their boxes years after the humanity has forgot the existence of iGadgets :twisted: :p :cool:

New threads

Members online