Reverb in headphone mix for tracking vocals

Postecutioner

Gear owned
DP 24
Whenever I've been in the he studio there has always been a bit of reverb added to the headphone mix, especially when I was doing my vocal tracks. I have a headphone mixer in my rack that was a gift, and I've never used. Is there a way to get that wired in so that the vocalist doesn't hear a totally dry headphone mix of his/her vocal? Just some reverb is all I've ever used, or needed when I was singing. Can I use the internal reverb to accomplish this, or I have 2 nice old Ensoniq DP-2s which have great reverb presets. Which would be easiest, or best for my desired effect?

Thanks. Keith

Keith, my friend Al, who does most of our vocals, loves reverb in the mix when singing. I always use the on board reverb to send him a mix with reverb in it, and it works fine. Set to Post, adjust Master amount to 127, and track amount to taste (he likes around 105-110, on average), and you should be all set. I think this would be easier than a send/return to your external Ensoniqs.

Thank you for your reply Bob, but to understand, do you record his vocal on one track, and use another track for the reverb, then either set the effected track not to record, or just ditch the effected track after the vocals are recorded? Or am I totally missing a simple thing because of not having used my DP for the year I've had it, due to a long illness. (I think you helped me on another issue, and I believe I've mentioned this to you before? I could be wrong, it may have been another Bob though?). Either way, I am finally feeling better, and my brain's starting to catch up, and I've straightend out all my DAW/PC issues, and I'm ready to utilize all this great gear I have.

Peace, Keith

I checked, it was you, I thought so, but I'm so bad with screen names, haha.
Thanks again Bob!

Keith

Hi Keith - in our case, I record the track with reverb on, as that's how it's going to be in the final mix. However, you could easily arm 2 tracks to record, with reverb off on one, and active on the other, and then pull down the track slider on the track without reverb, so you only hear the one with reverb in the headphones. That way, you'll have the dry track to work with in the final mix, to "season" as you like.

Okay, so that sounds like what I was looking for. Like I said when we spoke about the Stereo faders, I have never worked with digital recording, as I haven't been in a studio since the mid '90s. Back then, we always had what we reffered to as a little headroom reverb to everyone's headphone mix so the vocals weren't completely dry, but always wanted the vocal, and most other tracks recorded completely dry, other than a bit of compression on some vocal, and drum tracks. All the delay, reverb, and any effects would be added in the editing/mixdown phase. What you confirmed, gets me right there. Hope you've been well, and have been making joyful noises!

Peace my friend, Keith

Thanks Keith - doing great here, and glad to see you are as well. Have fun and make some great tunes!

I plan on it, just a bit more catching up on the debt I incurred while not working, and I'll have the time, as well as the extra$$$ to get a proper space. The bedroom just doesn't cut it! I'll be checking in, and probably lost somewhere along the way, so thanks for all your help!

Keith, an old newbie, and a analog man lost in a sea of 1s and 0s!

Members online

No members online now.