ROLAND VS880 to DP24 or DP32DS?

Todez

Gear owned
4-track
Hello,
I'm looking for a new multitrack recorder to replace my Roland VS88o, and I've seen some of the problems here that Tascam's 24/32 units are having. The problem doesn't seem resolved and I'm wondering if it is still worth purchasing one of their units. I was looking at a 24, but see now that it is apparently discontinued. 32-track is overkill for me, but I might not have many other options. Are there any other manufacturer's 16-24 track machines that you would recommend, or are you still satisfied with your Tascam units? Is the onboard mixer more than sufficient, or would you recommend other computer-based software for Mastering? And I'd love to hear any other suggestions or opinions you might have.
Thank you!
Todez

If you want a porta-studio the only option anymore, unless you buy used, is TASCAM. The DP-32 is not a 32 track recorder. It has 8 mono channels and 12 stereo channels, so really a 20 track recorder. I like the simplicity of the unit and you can get decent results with the on board mixer. The new machines have no MIDI, CD burner, or digital I/O. Sweetwater advertises the DP-24 for sale. If you get a machine that works I think you would be happy.

Reactions: Todez
Hello Roundhill,
Thank you very much for your input! I saw you responding to many of the click problems in the forum I was reading through. That click problem is a concern for me, but if I don't have many options, like you said, I'll have to hope that Tascam fixes the problem or there is some kind of work around. It seems like there is; don't use 24 bit sample rate and in points. At any rate, 20 tracks would be more than enough for me. The fact that there is no digital I/O or CD burner isn't a problem for me, though I don't like the fact that there is no MIDI! It doesn't sound like there is a work around for that. I do a lot with a drum machine (I know a lot of people don't like that idea) and programed keyboards, so that would definitely cause some problems for me. Maybe it won't be as large of a problem as I'm thinking it will be. I saw some discussion about the stereo tracks not being pannable. I'm assuming that you can use those tracks in both mono or stereo. Is that correct? If I were to purchase some kind of mastering software, what would you recommend? I've heard a lot of people talk about Pro Tools, but they say there is a very steep learning curve.
Thank you for having taken of your time to answer my questions!
Todez

Todez said:
I saw some discussion about the stereo tracks not being pannable. I'm assuming that you can use those tracks in both mono or stereo. Is that correct? If I were to purchase some kind of mastering software, what would you recommend?

On the DP-24 a mono source can be assigned to a stereo track but the pan control will not let you separate them. The pan knob will allow you to move the source left or right but not summed together, that is, I cannot pan both to the center. A mono source can be assigned to a stereo track on the DP-32 and I think you can pan to the center on the DP-32 but not certain. The DP-24 has 12 mono channels (6 stereo) - the DP-32 has 8 mono channels (12 stereo). I do not use a computer when recording or mixing – everything is done on the DP-24 besides a stand-alone CD burner so I can’t advise on any DAW software. But if you were to go that route maybe you should just use the computer for recording also?

If you decide to purchase one of these machines check to make sure that 24 bit recording works immediately. The TASCAM warranty is pathetic - 90 days for parts and labor. If you are located in the USA I would recommend Sweetwater because of their additional 2 year warranty. It saved me the cost of repairing my DP-24.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you for the additional information, Roundhill. I believe I understand how the stereo track mono-recording would work. I don't necessarily need to center everything; a little off-center would actually be a good separation for some of the instruments. So the DP-24 might work out well in that respect, particularly since it has more mono tracks to start with. However, since it's no longer produced, I might just spend the extra money for the DP-32, even if it is overkill for me.
My concern with the mixer was that it provide radio-quality sound mixdowns. I listened to some of what Dennis FMRJE had mixed, from his post in the DP-24 Pops and Clicks thread, and the mixdown sounded very crisp to me. So I don't believe I would need DAW software. Though, as you pointed out, it would be another option.
Thank you for the suggestion of testing out the 24-bit recording right away! Warranty is a BIG issue for me since I live in Brazil, and from my personal experience, even if a company says they have a worldwide warranty on a product, that doesn't seem to include Brazil. I would definitely purchase the machine where I would get the most warranty, and that seems to be Sweetwater, from the research I've done. I've checked Tascam's site and it doesn't appear that they have any service here. Neither does anyone else most of the time, even if they say that they do! I'd have to pay the shipping from Brazil no matter what company's product I bought, so reliability will be a huge issue for me. I would definitely make the purchase just before coming back for a visit so that I could bring it back myself on the plane.
I truly appreciate your help and insight!

I've owned both the Roland VS-880 and VS-1680 and now the Tascam DP-32. I prefer the Tascam machine to the Rolands (although I did make some nice recordings with the Roland machines). The Tascam just has more of a tape/analog feel to it and is easier to get around. It may have less effects for mixing than the Rolands but, as a tracking machine, it's really good. I'll just export the tracks when I'm done tracking and mix on a DAW.

Reactions: Todez
Hello Kevinklk,
Thank you for what you had to say. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'll be purchasing a Tascam sometime in the near future, and probably the DP-32 though it's more than what I need.
Could you tell me how you were able to transfer your Roland VS880 saves to your computer or to your Tascam? Did you have any problems doing so. My saves are on an Iomega Zip drive. I'm going to have to look at some kind of DAW today, possibly.
Thank you!

Roundhill,
I got an answer back from someone at Tascam about the panning abilities, and I think that your earlier post about how the panning works is correct:

The DP-32SD is different than the DP_24 in how it allows you to record mono tracks with the ability to pan. If a track is stereo, it will always hard left and right. I wish that ability would have been in the DP-24 as well but it's not.

I feel the response was vague and still leaves me wondering a bit.

I'm assuming from what was said that as long as the track is in mono, you should be able to pan back to center on the DP-32SD.

Todez, the DP's 24/32 has good mastering capabilities with multi-band compression, etc. thanks for checking out my fmrje mix. Let me know when you get a mix with your music in Brazil; the sounds from Brazil is amazing percussion

Hello Dennis,
You're welcome for the listen! I enjoy a lot of different kinds of music.

My music isn't so much Brazilian. They do have a lot of great musical traditions here (Samba, Axe, Forro, Bossa Nova, Sertaneja), but I don't really have a desire to delve into them. I'm more focused on Rock/Pop.

I spoke with someone at Sweetwater today about options. And he agrees with Roundhill that DAW is the way to go. He has me very convinced about it, even though I have a lot of reservations since I've never really worked with it before. But the way he talks about it, it's very easy and quick to create the drum tracks, and everything else. I'm going to make a decision within the next few weeks probably, and I think I'll be doing a 180 from the Tascam.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Hi Todez,

Transferring tracks from the Roland machines was an issue. I don't recall a way other than actually playing them into a DAW (8 tracks at a time and, if there were more tracks, then lining them up later). I didn't bother using any of those tracks later on the Tascam. I just finished work on them on the DAW and when I got the Tascam machine I started new projects on it.
For a DAW, I use an old version of Sonar (version 4). Still works fine since I don't need a lot of fancy stuff. You could use Audacity. It's free and pretty easy to use. There's also a free DAW called N-Track.
If I want a professional sounding mix, I take the tracks recorded on the Tascam to a professional mixing/mastering friend of mine. It makes all the difference. Mixing is a real art form and I'd rather have someone else do it who really knows what he's doing.

I forgot to mention: I had the DP-24 initially and then sold it to get the DP-32. I really like the option of using all the tracks as mono on the DP-32. I only need to use stereo tracks once in a while. It's nice to have a fader dedicated to each individual track.

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for all of the information that you gave me! I appreciate it. I had been thinking of the DP-32 as well, but have since decided on a DAW. I think that it will be much easier for me. I agree with you that Mastering is an art form. Unfortunately, I don't have a friend who does it, much less a professional! You're lucky that way. So, I'm going to study about it as much as I can and do my best. I'll have to learn as I go, but I may possibly take it to someone to have them mastered if I don't feel I've done a good job, or just to get their opinion even if I have to pay for that.
Thank you VERY MUCH for sending the link about the transferring of wav. files. I will definitely take a look at that as soon as I can!
Thank you once again for your help.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.