Routing for monitor/ direct out to Motu.

Jim Fischer

Gear owned
Tascam DM-24
I am new to the DM – 24.
My previous set up was using an Alesis adat to split the signal for recording and monitoring. I took the line out of my adat in to into my old tascam analog mixer for monitoring and using the light pipe out of the adat to go straight to the Motu/Mac for recording.

My current signal chain is microphone into neve mic preamp into outboard DBX compressor limiter to analog to digital converter to light pipe to Motu.
In other words I want my hot rod preamps and not run the signal through the tascam mic preamps again.

I would like to bring my +4 signal from the DBX compressor into the tascam mixer and go straight to the adat with no tascam mic preamp. How do I configure this routing?
I just want my live studio mic signal into the tascam so I can monitor with my other tracks coming off the motu analog back into the tascam dm-24.

Am I making sense here?
So thankful to find the forum.

Jim

You need to wire some special cables and use the insert jacks.... there's lots of discussion on this here on the forum, so snoop around. But IMO, you are splitting angel's hairs... the Tascam pres are extremely clean: just turn them all the way down and jack in a balanced line. They won't harm your expensive signal.

Besides, With the LightPipe in the equation, aren't we talking about a 16-bit word? If so, you will never hear it.

Thanks for your quick response and counsel on the dm's input.
So do I come in w a tip ring sleeve 1/4 into the instrument input or canon into the mic in?

Also what menu to get it direct out to the adat output.please...

So are you saying better to go analog out to the Motu 828mkII and let it do the a/d?
The Motu is probably 8 years old.

Don't know the vintage of the dm-24. I bought it used at a pro audio shop in portland, Or. Does serial number reveal the year?

Thanks so much,
Jim

I'm at a loss at this point: I use a DM3200, and know zip about the DM24's software. I know there are some 24 users around... Here's hoping they show up soon.

So do I come in w a tip ring sleeve 1/4 into the instrument input or canon into the mic in?

Also what menu to get it direct out to the adat output.please...

If you want to bypass the DMs Micpre's you need to go into the Inserts - these will receive a signal on the ring. You'll have to use a cable which brings the hot (+) phase of your symmetrical signal to the ring of an 1/4 TRS jack and the ground to the ground of the TRS jack. The tip remains unused. This of course means you are going unsymmetrical into the DM24 which will not harm the signal if it is @ +4dB level. Be aware that you will not be able to level you signal at the DM24 - the insert-return goes straight to the ADC. Any necessary leveling needs to be done upfront (probably at the output stage of your compressors.

If it's only up to four signals at a time you could also use the assignable Returns in the master section - these can receive symmetric signals.

If you use the regular In's you need to assign them to direct in the upper left of the Channel strip (right of the EQ buttons). Then go to the I/O page, section Output and select Buss1-8/Direct 1-8 as Output Signal for the physical output you want to use. You can't use Busses and Direct Out mixed on one physical output.

If you use the Assignable Returns you need to route them as the input source of a regular channel (I/O - CH1-16 IN or CH 17-32 IN, they are available as Input, make sure you connect the "patchcable" to the input on that channels). You can then route the Channel to a Bus and the bus to your desired physical output (same pages as above).

Reactions: DJ X

New threads

Members online

No members online now.