Scenes and the DP SD 24/32

lastmonk

Veteran
Gear owned
DP 24 ,DP-02, Model 12,
I've had several ppl tell me that the DP 24 SD series does not have scenes because of the fact that it does not save the hardware fader level settings. The folks have no idea what they're talking about.

In the use of my DP 24 SD I use scenes all the time. I routinely save and retrieve at will, effects setting, pan settings, eq settings, and digital mixer fader levels.

First of all the notion of a 'scene' is in most instances associated with 'Digital Mixers'. It is in this context that I say the DP 24/32 SD does support the basic notion of a scene.

Using the DP 24/32 SD as a digital mixer with 8 inputs all of the settings including the digital faders of these 8 inputs are saved with the song. So I create empty songs and use those as my scenes when I'm using my DP 24 SD as a digital mixer.

For the most part all of the settings are saved with the empty song. When I select any of the A-H inputs after re-loading the empty song all of my settings INCLUDING THE FADER Levels have been saved.

The track fader levels may not be saved, because the track fader levels are not the same as the mixer fader levels.

So yes, basic scene functionality is possible with using empty songs and the DP 24/32 SD as a digiial mixer as opposed to when using it as a recording studio.

Sometimes users equivocate the notion of scenes which basically originate in the world of digital mixers, with the notion of saving and retrieving level/parameter automation which is more of DAW feature, advanced recording studio feature. Yes there is intersection between digital mixers and DAWS but these two concepts are not equivalent.

The Tascam DP 24/32 SD Portastudio includes an 8 channel Digital Mixer that does (IMO) have basic support for the idea of a scene. The recording feature of the the Tascam DP24/32 SD however does not support automation. That being said the same mixing and fader techniques that can accomplished in an analog recording studio are generally easily accomplished on the tascam portastudio e.g. fade ins, fade outs, level changes, effects processing during the mastering and mix down processes. And they are saved in the master file.

New threads

Members online