SD-20M Incorrect time remaining?

tomstephens89

Gear owned
SD-20M
Hi there, I am the new owner of a Tascam SD-20M and think I have found a bug.

My recording format is set to BWF 24/96, stereo. I am using a 64GB SDXC card. When activating record, the remaining time shows as only 1hr 2mins. However a 55 minute long file is only 1.8GB.

I put a different card in, this time 32GB and the remaining time also shows 1hr 2mins.

I have tried changing every setting on the unit but cannot get this to show a true value. Both cards have been formatted in the unit.

Is this a bug. I am running the latest firmware.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, I don't have an SD-20 but if it works the same way as the DP models, the remaining time is limited by the max size file which can be stored on the card. This limit is imposed by the file system structure and is usually 4GB for cards over a few GB capacity. Haven't done the sums but I'm guessing a 24/96 stereo file will equate to 1hr 2mins.

Hi, the file system on the card is exFAT which doesn’t have a file size limit, well it’s a number so big it’s not worth talking about.

After my own research this 2GB limit is imposed by Tascam rather than a technical file system limit.

I have also learned that once reached it rolls over into the new file so all good.

I am using the device to digitise Vinyl so I can do a manual split per side to make it easy to line up the files in Audacity.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Updating this thread as I have heard nothing from TASCAM on the matter. Its not a problem as if a recording session is going to exceed the time allowed, then I will stop/start when changing record sides.

However as I said previously, exFAT which the card is formatted as, has no such limits so why is TASCAM still enforcing a 2GB file size limit?

If it rolls over onto a new file automatically, what difference does it make? Can you not just join the files together in the DAW, presumably this would be seamless? Personally, I prefer smaller file 'chunks' as they are easier to deal with, e.g. archiving etc.

Well, yes of course I can join the files together. But thats not the point, as I have been working in IT all my life and am also a bonafide nerd... I want to know the reason for the 2GB file size limit when there to my knowledge is no filesystem based reason for it.

Good point... the quest for knowledge :) My Fostex field recorder also has a limit so wonder if it's to do with BWF files? Just had a quick look here & here, but they mention 4GB not 2GB. Update: Seems there's also the same limit on WAV files here. If there's definitely a 2GB limit, maybe Tascam have done this to maintain compatibility with older computers?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online