SD Card Discussion

heyjimi

Gear owned
tascam dp24sd
Just noticed i have firmware 1.05,guess i have to update to the version 1.07... many issues with the tascam dp24sd...i call it my "eggshell" as i have to walk on eggshells,so not to wake the ghost in this unit that gives me more headaches than pleasures....so a few things i learned,you have to religiously delete unused data.....another thing i learned this unit does not like to work over 1gb songs,it can't handle it ( at least on my unit ) which brings me back to making sure i delete unused often.Everyone seems to blame the sd card,so i ordered another one,i have two of them ( sandisk extreme pro 32gb)get the same issues ,but as long as i stay below the 1gb for a song,it seems to work fine....other than if you do too many edits with the waveform jog wheel,eventually the ghost inside my machine wakes up and says you're not doing that no more,and it freezes up .Well i will update the firmware see how it goes.

Each FW update improves the efficiency of the unit. That's one reason it's important to stay current.

religiously delete unused data
My SOP is to do that when each project is complete and ready for archiving, after exporting, clearing, and importing back all tracks to consolidate them.

this unit does not like to work over 1gb songs
That hasn't been my experience. I do some very complex projects that run as high as 1.8gb with no issues. You must be creating *a lot* of snippet zz files.

if you do too many edits with the waveform jog wheel...it freezes up
I've had the unit slow down on occasion when editing in the waveform screen, but never freeze. You must be doing *a lot* of editing.

Last edited:
i have 2 sandisk extreme pro 32gb,..which is a card on the approval list.have another card ordered,but my rant is moot until i do the update...hopefully it will fix my issues,or i have a bad unit,or the cards are defective,i 'm not buying the blame the card though for my issues,as two cards having the same exact issues,what are the odds ? anyway tomorrow will update and chime in after the update.....as well as throwing in a new SD card.

cards having the same exact issues,what are the odds

If the SD cards are exactly the same, then of course the results would be the same. Have you read the SD cards threads? I think in one case only was a unit defective (although that's the first conclusion for many users).

Please note that I bought a card that I thought would be ok and it turned out not to be. Since replacing the card I've not had a single issue since (over a year).

Well what card did you buy ?...please share,if not all sandisk extreme pro sd cards are not approved what ones are? i bought mine ..the one someone was recommending on here at the store they recommended .....now if i went strictly by the approved list i would have to buy a japanese version of the sandisk.....becuase i believe that is what they list in their book from their list;SanDisk Extreme Pro® SDHC™ UHS-I Memory Card (Class10)SDSDXS-032G-J35, here is where i found that exact sd sandisk https://kakaku.com/item/K0000630134/spec/ are you suggesting i buy it from a japan store? i suppose i could buy it from Japan,shouldn't be too much to ship...if they even ship international...I mean i have not found here in the USA the "J35"...and maybe that is where the issue lies ???? now i did find an online store in japan(biccamera),it says that product was discontinued.....and here is a thought the japanese sandisk card where is it made ?,the American version i have is made in China ....now i also was on a camera forum and this guy was saying the same thing about sd cards,need to use the approved card ( for his camera) he was saying for extreme pro need to get the "J35"i found that pretty interesting.

There are 3 posts in the Equipment Tips sticky that explain SD cards.

One of those posts explains how to read SanDisk card numbers.

Another post In the sticky has a link to a comprehensive and definitive overview of SD cards by member Sam Trenholme.

All 3 sticky posts well worth reading.

Last edited:
Ah yes i have read that,i bought the card he recommends ,...has anyone tried the other brands lexar,sony toshiba ?.......toshiba ones i notice are made in japan...has anyone actually bought one of the japanese sandisk on the tascam SD list ( example the sandisk extreme pro j35 or j95)..or has anyone bought the real expensive extreme pro uhs...32gb 300 mb/s ...expensive but seems impressive .?

One issue appears to be counterfeit cards. I have what sounds like the same card: SanDisk Extreme Pro, 95 MB/s, HC-1, V30, U3, Class 10.\, 32GB. I also update to the latest version, and maybe just as important: reformat the card after firmware updates. I also do a quarterly backup/format/restore operation.

Here in Taiwan, we have mostly SanDisk (obviously) and I have seen a few Toshiba and Lexar cards, but I haven't tried them. There are also many other Taiwan brand cards with the same specs. I'm not really in the review business so I've not spent any time checking out those other cards. I would assume that if they are real and the specs are real, those cards would work. Also, sometimes you'll find that SanDisk has released an update to a particular card, which is what I found out when I purchased mine. That was an interesting conversation to have in Chinese, lol.

Hmm ...the card on the kakaku website(sdsdxs-032-j35p) it is on the supported media list, it is the extreme plus not the pro but still on the list. ..and yeah i do know there are counterfeit cards out there. The cards i have American version ( made in China ) sandisk extreme pro 32 gb 95 mb/s v30 hc 1 u3 class 10, and i have a new one coming the same card which is coming from b and h photo video.....i updated the firmware,so what i am going to do first, start off from scratch with the new card,but i am going to full format all the cards, i'm not sure but i think i may have just did a quick format,don't know if that makes a difference.

Reactions: -mjk-
Not sure now. Investigated further.

So different listings show up for the DP-24SD depending on how one looks for the supported media on the TASCAM website.

Note the URL difference ( tascam.com v tascam.com/us/ ) for the DP-24SD, but not for the DP-32SD.

(A) Approved list for DP-24/24SD (57.9KB pdf file):
https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/723/dp-24_tested media_list_r5_20140523.pdf

(B) As you found, heyjimi, there's a list of tested media that shows up here as an html listing by scrolling down through the Specification page for the DP-24SD:
https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-24sd/spec
Since this DP-24SD html listing only has the "J" designator, it must be (erroneously) the domestic Japan listing. So it must be another careless TASCAM screwup.

(C) Approvd list for DP-32/32SD (33.2KB pdf file):
https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/775/dp-32_tested_media_list_r4_20140523.pdf

(D) The listing for the DP-32SD shows up here also, and is the same 33.2KB pdf file located at the bottom of the Specification page. It is also found on the Download Tab page under the Media heading:
https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/spec
https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/download

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Hahaha...yeah that URL i posted was where i looked when looking to buy an SD card when i first got my dp24sd .that "J" really confused me as i figured the J was for japan,i was not finding that anywhere here in USA....which led me to this site to find out what sd card to really get, ...i was like Tascam can't possibly expect users to get Japanese sd cards if not available in USA could they ? hahaha , anyway thanks for all the info

Last edited:
Yeah thats what i have and a new one on the way...but i was thinking,trying to think outside the box a bit....what about dust affecting the card,i do not cover my recorder when not in use,guess i should start doing that,i was reading on a website about sd card failures,and they mentioned dust ,moisture,excessive heat,temperture fluctuations,perhaps dust is getting into the card slot,i mean not that i live in a dusty enviroment,but dust is dust,i live here in Florida,temp fluctuations ...boy ....yesterday was 80 degrees,tomorrow will be 60 degrees (for any of those living up north that is cold to us floridians) ,generally probably wont be putting the heat on,gets cool in my room where i have my studio,will put on a space heater though.....anyway just food for thought

New threads

Members online