Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello again,

I am considering the purchase of a rolling office chair or two (engineer / producer) I came across two models which seem to provide an abundant level of support. This is very important to me as my neck and back are not what they used to be. As a matter of fact it is a pain / discomfort that I live with on a daily basis.

I would be very curious to learn what the rest of you are using. Here are the two models that I came across:

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

and

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-ch...NJds1XlpRUPropEmgx1IK-EoS3UdmnzkaAjNnEALw_wcB

and

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/mirra-2-chairs/

Hi Peter. I use a stool from Ikea. It goes up and down (pretty high up) so sometimes I'm almost standing up and that's good for the legs. The seat surface rocks, so I can sit on the front edge and maintain my spine in the correct position. It's the best upgrade I did this year. Oh, there is a ring footrest and that's great for playing guitar.

Reactions: Peter Batah
@-mjk- Thank you for chiming in. You wouldn't happen to have the link to the specific model that you are referring to. Have a good one. Peter

Hah! I have two Ikea chairs as well. Though I don't like shopping there, they usually have good bang for buck. My model is the Verksam, but I'm not sure if it's still in production - or even if it ever is/was available in USA/Canada (cause Ikea does differentiate what products are found where).

Reactions: -mjk-
I've been using a full-function, highly adjustable office chair with a high back for years that I really like. However, I have certainly also wondered about the Aeron chair because of all the rave reviews it has received since its release. And in the summers, I find my chair too warm at times and the Aeron design looks cooler (and I don't mean kool). The Aeront originally cost over $700 U.S., but can now be found around $500 new and sometimes down to $400 on sale. There are also copy cat versions that sell for less. Here's a link to a review site identifying five of them in case you're interested, though their favorite costs the same as an Aeron:

http://ergonomictrends.com/best-herman-miller-aeron-alternatives/

HOWEVER, whatever you buy, I strongly suggest you try to find a local store, office, something somewhere where you can actually sit in the chair and try it for yourself. We're all different and we change as we age. You already mentioned being in some pain and it's doubly important for you to be happy with your chair. Best would be if you could take a sample home and use it for a few days, weeks would be better. I don't know of any retailer that offers this or guarantees you'll be happy with a chair you buy, but this at least highlights how important the chair is when you expect to spend many hours and days in one.

As an example, I went into my own business over 20 years ago and several weeks before I started, I ran into a friend who had been in his own business for several years. I asked him about his suggestions for computers, printers, copy machines, backup systems, etc., and he had some, but he told me the most important item I needed to buy was a good chair that "fit me" well because I was going to be working long hours and spending those hours in my chair in front of my computer - he was right about that, and he was so very right about the chair. Of course, I know everything and find technology far more exciting, so I ignored the chair advice, bought a great powerful computer with a big monitor (19 inch - huge for the time), the perfect laserjet printer, and an ok, fairly cheap chair. About 2 or 3 months later, I was HATING that damn chair! My back hurt, my legs hurt, and I didn't always walk straight for 10 minutes after getting up. So, I then heeded his advice, bought a much better chair, and accepted the loss of investment on the first chair - such is the life of not truly knowing what we don't know. I still don't know a lot, but I do try harder to listen to those that do. Go figure...

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
@skier I just bought one of those bed-in-a-box mattresses that my eldest daughter has been using for a number of years. And the one that my lovely wife wanted Oh! so badly. They call it the Leesa. They offer a Risk-free, 100-night trial. Not happy / comfy? They will pick it up at no charge to the consumer and donate to a local shelter. If only I could find an office furniture retailer who would do the same :).

By the way I have seen the Aeron being sold on FB Marketplace in my area. Prices range from $850 (CAD) -> $1450 (this one was new, apparently). Still seems like an awful lot of $$$ for a chair. But, I have to admit that I have been sitting in some terrible chairs for far too long. The one that I am sitting on at the moment is mainly leather and I keep slipping off of it. Constantly grabbing the armrests and pulling myself back up. Horrible I tell you!

Last edited:
hi @Peter Batah The Model is LIDKULLEN 904.457.85. The reason I like it is because it forces me to shift my weight and use my lower back muscles and legs. My office chair was giving me a lot of pain and I really had to think about that until I realized that it was because I was sitting so still in a single position for so long. Now, my back pain is gone and I can work comfortably for hours on the stool. Btw, I have a ruptured L5/S1 disk.

Oh, I got the gray seat with the black frame, and it looks killer in the studio with all my black and gray stuff.

When you look at that one on IKEA, you'll see some others with different cushion options.

@skier
By the way I have seen the Aeron being sold on FB Marketplace in my area. Prices range from $850 (CAD) -> $1450 (this one was new, apparently). Still seems like an awful lot of $$$ for a chair. But, I have to admit that I have been sitting in some terrible chairs for far too long. The one that I am sitting on at the moment is mainly leather and I keep slipping off of it. Constantly grabbing the armrests and pulling myself back up. Horrible I tell you!

Peter, and anyone else interested, the link below is where I found Aeron chairs in the $500 - $600 U.S. ($635 - $732 Canadian) range. This company is having a sale on Herman Miller chairs and the many Aeron variations. I'm sure they'll ship to you if you're interested and decided to buy. I'm not saying they're any better than the Ikea or any other chair - I don't know, but because the Aeron is well known and respected, if you want to go that route, this is likely a very cost-effective opportunity. Here's the link:

https://www.madisonseating.com/landing/herman-miller-aeron.html

FWIW, I'm considering getting one myself, though I have never sat in one. I'm going to try to find a local store nearby this week to try one. If I really like it, I'll also mention this sale at Madison Seating. If the proprietor is willing to discount the chair enough, I'll give them the business and get it locally. Good luck with whatever you decide! Jerry

Well, this is a quick follow-up to my post above. In attempting to determine the physical location of Madison Seating, I ran across a number of complaints (67) about them on the Better Business Bureau website. It does give me pause, though most of the complaints I read had to do with long wait times. I'm including the complaint list for Madison Seating below for anyone considering purchasing a chair:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/brooklyn/profile/furniture-stores/madisonseatingcom-0121-114990/complaints

I apologize for any inconvenience - I should have looked them up first.

@skier Thank you for the original link and the follow-up. Please let us know if you end up taking one for a test drive. I have a feeling that you probably already know this. The Aeron does come in a variety of configuration. The used chairs that I was referring to (FB Marketplace) were fully loaded. Here is an example.

This fellow had two but sold the first in a matter of days (believe it or not).

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/402426117512131/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

And the this one ( a real beauty) is brand new in box:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/862905841224018/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Note: I keeping thinking about Covid and all the people that are being encouraged to work from home. You would think that sooner than later the used office furniture market is going to be inundated with inventory. Not to mention how empty the corporate landscape is going to be. Then again, there is a vaccine on the way.

Reactions: skier
hi @Peter Batah The Model is LIDKULLEN 904.457.85. The reason I like it is because it forces me to shift my weight and use my lower back muscles and legs. My office chair was giving me a lot of pain and I really had to think about that until I realized that it was because I was sitting so still in a single position for so long. Now, my back pain is gone and I can work comfortably for hours on the stool. Btw, I have a ruptured L5/S1 disk.

Oh, I got the gray seat with the black frame, and it looks killer in the studio with all my black and gray stuff.

When you look at that one on IKEA, you'll see some others with different cushion options.

Thank you for that info @-mjk- Surprisingly, IKEA Canada does carry this model. @Arjan P had provided me with the model that he is using. But, as he suspected, the model is not available in Canada. Have a wonderful day! Peter

@Peter Batah what did you settle on for a studio chair? My IKEA stool has saved my back and legs a number of times. I thought I would miss a chair with a back but I find this stool to be so versatile, especially with the footrest ring at the bottom that I do not miss a chair at all. I never think about it anymore.

@-mjk- My wife and I were at IKEA last last week. Went in for a lighting solution and looked for that stool. It may have been discontinued. In the meantime, I am using a spare office chair that I had kicking around in my office. Not so bad. Hasn't disabled me yet. I'll survive for now.

Ended up buying everything but what I needed.
1) Hybrid Mattress
2) Fold out cot (Sleeper)

More importantly, I dislike IKEA. Always have!

Let me get this straight: you've bought a mattress and cot for the studio! Man, you might be late to the game of getting your studio together, but you're committing to almost live there from the outset? I just gotta really respect that. :)

@skier Funny guy! Preparing the bunker just in case my wife decides that she has had enough with the $$$ I've spent on my little hobby. At least I'll have a place to rest my weary bones.

On a more serious not, the mattress is not going into the studio. It's for a spare room that my daughter uses when she spends the night. Ah Yes! The things we do for love

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
Ah yes, the bunker - smart guy! You never really know when they're going to throw us out for buying the one-too much piece of equipment or plug-in. But knowing right where the limit is so we don't exceed it is not easy - it could actually be unknowable and determined more by the mood of the day. Either way, we've gotta be ready.

@skier Off topic. I was wondering if you are using timecode display on your meter bridge. If so, would you mind sharing your settings in Pro Tools. Thank you.

Let me get this straight: you've bought a mattress and cot for the studio! Man, you might be late to the game of getting your studio together, but you're committing to almost live there from the outset? I just gotta really respect that. :)

I used to literally live at the first studio I worked in. I had a bed under the stairs.

@skier...I have been sitting in some terrible chairs for far too long
You may be interested in a free (MS Windows) utility program I wrote many years ago called the Nagger. It 'nags' you when you've been using the computer for too long and eventually forces you to take a rest by blocking the screen.
The time periods are configurable (defaults are a 10 minute rest every hour), and you can override it in emergencies.
The beauty of it is you have to type in a phrase to override it, and this is chosen at random from a list of typical symptoms of using a computer for too long. It's quite uncanny when you have to type e.g. 'sore shoulders' in order to keep going... when that's exactly what you feel :)
Details and downloads are here.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.