Staff member
From
Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Website
phoenixmediaforge.com
Gear owned
DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
Reactions: mixerizer
Thank you @dmartin. No ebay for me. I'd rather buy/support a forum member so I put this out there just to see.

I was able to get one through a member of the Unofficial Behringer Forums. I specifically got the Sony 9-pin protocol supported version. If anyone is interested in what I'm going to do with this, I will do a short write up about it. I may do a video of the how the device functions in my application.

Congrats on your score!
I read up on this thingy and was absolutely unable to understand what it does or what you'd do with it. So I'll read your write up with interest.
Then again - I have to use a diagram to figure out which conductor carries what on an XLR cable. I toldja I wuz stewpyd!!!:oops:

It is a converter for MIDI I/O to various formats such as MADI. It has 8 MIDI in and out ports and there is software for internal patching. The main interest that I have is the Sony 9-pin support. Virtually everything in my studio is MIDI so those 8 ports will be useful (I have a 4 I/O port hub now). The DTP can convert Sony 9-pin protocol to MIDI which means I can control Reaper with the antique computer on my Soundcraft Ghost analog inline recording console. So Reaper will act like a multitrack tape machine.

I have to use a diagram to figure out which conductor carries what on an XLR cable. I toldja I wuz stewpyd!!!

An old producer took me: George Washington Bridge.

Pin 1: Ground (George)
Pin 2: White wire (Washington)
Pin 3: Black wire (Bridge)

Typically the white wire is high (hot) and the black wire is low. In reality you might be dealing with red and black or or white and green etc. But that little saying will tell you what pin is what on an XLR connector.

Reactions: shredd
some pieces of gear are just right... glad u grabbed one!

Reactions: -mjk-
The unit arrived yesterday and it is one of the several versions of the DTP that only have 2 MIDI ports and no USB. Not to worry though because it will still do the Sony 9-pin-to-MIDI translation that I need. I am pretty sure I can find another one down the line and/or get a larger MIDI hub.

Nice! enjoy figuring it out and the hunt for a more optimal substitute :)

re MIDI hubs, i believe i have mentioned them previously but I am a strong proponent of the iconnectivity mio series of RTP MIDI interfaces.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/midi-interfaces-1

Like Dante, AVB and other networked audio, RTP MIDI lets you connect multiple interface i/o combinations across ur setup as networked MIDI, routing and filtering the MIDI data, accessing the sources and destinations in DAW software connected to the interfaces via USB, and changing/recalling presets without using software. I use a combo of mioXL, mioXM, mio10, and iCONNECTMIDI4 units in various racks, greatly simplifying my cabling: one CAT6 cable handling all the MIDI for that rack to/from to the network via a standard hub/switch.

Happy to discuss more and looking forward to your 9-pin results! I use it between the DM4800 and the x-48, and will likely also use an rs-422 controller when I pick up a 2 track master SD recorder. I have experimented w the JLCooper eBox for RS422-over-CAT6, but the firmware and protocol differences have proven way too tough for me to overcome and match disparate units so far.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@mixerizer thanks for the info! The X32 has an option for RTP MIDI but it was never implemented. I'll have to see how Reaper will play with it but networked MIDI sounds great. Plus it can co-exist with Dante with pretty much zero impact.

definitely! big fan. a few details re my setup:

i think Dante works similarly to what i use (AVB) on the audio networking side - the digital audio has its own dedicated 1gigabit network, which has an uplink to the LAN and internet network. The -audio- doesnt coexist in the same network as the other non AVB devices (so no conflicts or impacts) but Mac, PC and iOS devices w the Presonus/MOTU/3rd party apps can access and configure the interfaces and routing network to do the channel routing, mixing etc. The interfaces are plugged into AVB switches, one of which plugs into the LAN.

The MIDI interfaces, however, -are- currently on the larger network, and their switches are plugged directly into the LAN. That might change but so far I have pretty rock solid MIDI performance (one must RUTHLESSLY remove loops and default routing, however, to avoid cacaphonies impervious to ALL NOTES OFF that are the manifestation of your worst MIDI panic button nightmares).

So true! Dante can co-exist on a standard ethernet network along with control paths and other stuff. I could do MIDI networking right alongside it. Also internet.

sounds like networked MIDI could work well for you - note some aspects of networking do remain a pesky factor, esp when setting it up. eg gotta have a good port naming convention and be patient during the creation of network initiator/responder names for the connections you are setting up, as they persist on the network until a long timeout - and multiple similar names exceeding certain lengths, etc can create confusion that prevents the ports from connecting. You can see the names and their truncation using the MIDI Network Session window, on the Mac - im sure there is a PC equivalent. Once each pairing of device RTP ports is setup, however, I have never had one just inexplicably fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.