Silent Night

Thanks Phil.

Ha! "Stratophere" - haven't listened to that track in a long time. Recorded that in 1999 not long after acquiring my Roland VS840. I'll have to give that a listen. Man... 20 years ago. Yikes.:eek:

Lovely recording and playing! Do you have any more info about it, like guitar, mic used and processing? Thanks.

Thanks Arjan. I'd be happy to share.

That recording of "Silent Night" was my Taylor 414ce-R - recorded using the mid-side mic technique. There's not much of the "side" mic in the mix - but just a little to give a slight stereo effect.

I'm sitting quite close to the mics - approx. 12".

The entire signal chain going in to my Tascam DP was Warm Audio products.

For the main "mid" microphone - I used a WA87----> TB12 mic pre----> EQP-WA(copy of the Pultec EQP-1A)----> WA2A leveling amplifier/compressor----> Tascam DP-32SD. Reverb was added in mixdown with the Tascam. I used some subtle mastering compression at the final mastering stage.

The "side" mic was the Warm Audio WA14 set to figure-8, of course. It was sent direct to the DP.

I did engage the hi-pass filter of the mic pre. And with the EQP-WA - I did cut a little at 60 Hz and gave a considerable boost at 10 kHz.

My room is not great... so I did use mic stands to drape heavy blankets to create a C-shaped "booth" around me and the microphones.

Last edited:
David, I swear I was going to ask if you used the tube compressor because I thought I heard that. Great recording and playing techniques!

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online