shredd

Soundaholic
From
7 miles west of the Middle Of Nowhere
Website
www.soundclick.com
Gear owned
2488's, DP-32 & -008(ex)
Well...I've had my stuff posted on a site called SoundClick for about 15+ years. Works fine, easy to use, yada. The usual stuff - add descriptions, photos, whatever...but i also suspect it's one of those places that's about as popular as MySpace nowadays...:rolleyes:
So I recently decided I would set up at SoundCloud, and migrate my stuff over there. I gather it's more mainstream/accessible for many.

I found it to be a most cumbersome and troublesome process, and couldn't get things set up there the way I want (even as simple as showing my postings ordered by date of creation, rather than alphabetically).
I'm actually reasonably computer/website savvy...but after a lot of online searching and blog-reading, I arrived at a distinctly "flock this" kinda place.

Additionally, I found the place to absolutely polluted with spam, click-bait, fake posts, links to pron, etc etc...in other words, a typical crapp "social media" site.

I just though the whole thing suk'd. Is it just me?!?

Last edited:
I found the place to absolutely polluted with spam, click-bait, fake posts...
Over the last few months I've been trying out SoundCloud. I have four playlists up: three are clients; and one is of my own recordings; all in the "private" section.

IMO, the "private" option is the only useful aspect of the site. I use it for sharing purposes in order to free up my space-limited google drive and dropbox accounts.

Things I do like about SoundCloud:
  • The ability to upload songs easily;
  • The ability to create a playlist automatically when uploading multiple songs;
  • The ability to add more songs to a playlist easily;
  • The ability to create easy-to-share, short, URL links;
  • The ability to easily download songs; and
  • Much easier song access/usefulness overall (app or browser) than Google Drive or DropBox provides.
While songs can be re-ordered in a playlist, to get the songs in the order I want easily, I preface the song names with a number (e.g. 01 This is My Song). Not exactly elegant, but effective when uploading a large number of songs for private listening.

The "public" side is a waste of time, IMO, for all the reasons you've mentioned. I put up a dummy song just to see what would happen. Within minutes I had about 40 downloads and re-posts (i.e. lots of "interest" and "excitement" generated), all pretty convincing; but with a bit of investigation, a bogus "promotion service" scam perpetrated by someone in Asia to separate the naive from their hard earned money.

Last edited:
The "public" side is a waste of time, IMO, for all the reasons you've mentioned. I put up a dummy song just to see what would happen. Within minutes I had about 40 downloads and re-posts (i.e. lots of "interest" and "excitement" generated), all pretty convincing; but with a bit of investigation, a bogus "promotion service" scam perpetrated by someone in Asia to separate the naive from their hard earned income.
Thanks for your nickels' worth, @Mark Richards - that's pretty much what my experience was - literally within the first hour. That's about how long it took me to decide that I wasn't interested, and posted about it here...wondering if I'M the only one who saw it this way.
I thought that SoundCloud was sort of the default post-your-stuff site...but clearly it resides comfortably in the toidy of websites, all competing to be the most annoying-to-use, spam- and ad-laden, data-mined, and user-unfriendly platform in existence!
By contrast, SoundClick - which I've been using since I learned which way the pointy end of the guitar goes - has been exemplary in most ways and appears to be a little more low-profile, catering more to actual musicians. They do have a bit of promotion (you can pay extra to have your "beats package" pimped to users/visitors, that kind of stuff)...but it's minimal.

So I'll be deleting my SoundCloud account. I don't need the storage and I don't care to participate in a data-mining, click-baiting, spam-ridden scam site.

By contrast - my pro-musician friends all use BandCamp. I gather it's expensive, but it's the real thing, for real musicians...I imagine the cost of belonging/participating is high enough to deter the spam-hawrs using free sites to suck the life out of people (or their money, at least...)

Last edited:
Is original music posted on SoundCloud protected without first obtaining a copyright or other type of protection?

Original works are automatically protected by a common law copyright. The problem is that even so, virtually no court will uphold it if someone is suing you and they have gone though the copyright process for their country.

Is original music posted on SoundCloud protected without first obtaining a copyright or other type of protection?
Wasn't there a thread going here somewhere, all about the workings of copyrighting original material? Lots of posts/links there, as I recall...”search” would surely turn it up…

Last edited:
Anyone know if a person's original music on SoundCloud is to " Private" will it be available to link in the forums here or does have to be set on "Public"?

try it and see, link it here, I'd love to hear your music, go on

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online