Standalone Hardware Recording vs: DAW/Software Recording

I saw a boxed Model 12 at my pro gear supplier recently. So, there are some in Taiwan. Never put my hand on one yet though.

My own self assessment is that so far, unfortunately, it seems to that few of our covers (Eyes, Althea) are what end up sounding better than our originals. I could speculate as to why that may be, but mostly the answer comes back to perhaps a bit of red light syndrome on the originals and overall need to “just keep workin at it fellas”.

Don't be too hard on yourselves. Your covers were written by experienced songwriters with years and years spent honing their skills.
Each song you write will generally be better in composition and overall sound than those earlier ones. Keep writing, and don't be shy to rewrite some parts as you develop.
Playing originals is so much more enjoyable than covers, keep at it.

I would love to hear some of your songs going forward.

Reactions: -mjk-
Cool, MJ. Where is it available?

Talking about the Wing.

FP

The Behringer WING is available anywhere that Behringer distributes through. The software that Patrick showed it still in development, but the automation software for the WING and M/X32 consoles is at https://x32ram.com

@JSchmo_Bass, copy success. Listen to your favorite songs and analyze them. Break down the individual sections and figure out why those sections work. Add them to your own songwriting toolbox.

Good morning,

I am new to this forum (see my Introduction post), and have read through this whole entire thread. Lots and lots of fantastic information in these 6 pages!

A little history on me, if you don't mind... I am a basic singer/songwriter/guitarist/keys (...a common multi-instrumentalist...). I started out with the famed Tascam 414mkii, way back in the day. I hooked up with a co-worker/guitarist, and the two of us became good friends and wrote songs together. We eventually formed a basic, entry level, type of garage band with a few other friends. We had a ball, goofing around, learning what to do, what NOT to do, etc...

My friend got a copy of Cool Edit Pro (i.e. probably, arguably, the very first DAW software) which I believe today, it's known as Adobe Audition. He installed it on his massive homemade desktop PC (with Win 98), and we'd take our ideas from the old Tascam 414 and transfer them to Cool Edit Pro. Sometimes it would work, other times it sounded like crap. But yet it sounded fine on the old Tascam 414mkii. Go figure...

Fast forward all these years.... The old garage band days were long over 20 years ago. It just fizzled out, guys came and went, and tragically my good friend passed away. :( So, I became a solo musician in my home, doing everything myself, all the instruments, etc... I have been using Audacity for years, but quickly realized that it is not exactly a real true DAW, but more of a wave editor. You have to jump through hoops to multi-track record with it, as you will get bleed-over onto other tracks. I then moved onto Reaper and constantly struggled to gain a grasp on it's controls, VST plug-ins, MIDI functions with my Yamaha keyboard, etc...

Long story short and getting to the point: I guess I'm too "old school" to be bothered with the steep learning curves of a real true DAW. I'm a grandpa (3 grandkids), I'm in my 60's, and want to go back to things I know how to use!

I now have a brand new, right out of the box, Tascam DP-03SD straight from Sweetwater! :D

Thank you!!! For a follow up, to this whole thread, I am loving my Tascam DP-03SD. Given it's small stature, it does everything I need as a basic "scratch pad" or a MTR device to quickly capture ideas. I have taken a tender ballad that I wrote decades ago, played/recorded all the instruments, sang lead & harmony vocals, etc... and have it all saved on the DP-03SD. I could mix it all down and master it as it, or upload all the various tracks to a DAW and further enhance it. I'll have to play around with it and see which would work better.

But anyway - and speaking of Hardware MTR's.... I seriously need to figure out how to tame a trumpet and trombone when trying to add a "horn section" to another song I am working on. Just a very short, staccato, Ba.. Ba Da.. type of arrangement. Holy crap, I keep getting clipping because they're way too loud, versus recording a guitar, keyboard, vocals, etc...

Hi Butch - fellow RUSH fanboi!

I can SO relate to your experience w/DAW's - I think there's many of us. DAW's are great - but they're often cumbersome/complicated, and the bottom line is that they require a good deal of experience/expertise to use effectively, and can be a little squirrelly (as most computer programs are!). Meanwhile, MTR's and other purpose-built hardware tend to be pretty straightforward and perhaps a little more user-friendly, even if there is a "learning curve".
After MANY years of trying to get the DAW thing working - even so far as building a music-specific computer for it - I went back to MTR's - starting w/little Fostex MR-8's, and gradually progressing to the DP-32. Loving it.

RE: your horns-recording issues...VERY common! They're very 'percussive', dynamic instruments that present special recording challenges. Not that I'm any expert - but a few things to consider:
  • Condensers - even a small-diaphram cond'r (usually great for instruments, like git'r/strings/piano) might get "blasted" with horns. If going that way, you might need to use the attenuation switch, and/or the input trim on your interface/mixer input, to get a clean signal.
  • You might do really well with an SM-57 type mic. Great for mic'ing high-SPL sources.
  • And don't forget the room/sound treatment issues; very important for getting good recordings. Even if it's as simple as hanging a few blankets on the walls to reduce echo/sound-bounce/tinny-ness...

Last edited:
Reactions: ButchA
im rocking an x-48 / DM-4800 combo.

SO RESPONSIVE! reliable, timing is right - its pro hardware and it feels good to use. for editing that is more than basic, I have mine set up w an instance of Logic running on a local Intel Mac, to which the DM’s 48ch channel direct i/o can be routed using MOTU’s routing software. no firewire and the computer can capture and play back all 48 tracks without timeouts.

btw i detailed this a bit more on another thread - https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/time-to-upgrade-my-mac.9625/

Last edited:
Reactions: ButchA
I would try blowing the trumpet off axis a bit to tame it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.