Subwoofer connection to DM4800

CrossEyedHenry

From
Northern Kentucky, USA
Gear owned
DM-4800
Hello,
Is it possible to use a powered subwoofer with the DM4800 ? I have a nice JVC powered subwoofer that is currently collecting dust and I'd love to be able to use it during mixing. I've never used a subwoofer for mixing and I'd like to give it a try. I've searched the forum to no avail and googled but can't find any info. on the topic as it relates to the DM4800. Do I need the Tascam surround expansion card to accomplish this? If I don't need the expansion card, which output (if any) would best serve this purpose? Thanks for any and all help ! CEH

The powered subs I've seen we're set up so you plugged your stereo outs into the sub, and it passes everything above the crossover point on to your nearfields. I'm guessing your JVC doesn't do that?

Thanks for the quick reply Gravity Jim! I guess I'll need to try and find the manual for the subwoofer. I'm not sure if it can be used as a "thru-put" type device, especially because it's "powered" and would be feeding my powered nearfields. One side-note: I'm also not using the Large or Small balanced studio outputs from the DM, so I guess I could expreriment sending the mix to the subwoofer via either of those outputs (while still sending a signal to my nearfields via the stereo outs of the DM). Thanks again! CEH

Well, like I say, when they're set up that way they are usually just a ping the low frets that the crossover "keeps," and passing un-amped line level on to the nearfields, since you're usually using them with powered monitors. On the other hand, a JVC might have been designed for home thester and I don't know how those guys might work.

Here's my two cents (worth less with inflation. ;) ):

In all likelyhood, that JVC sub IS designed for home theatre use. So - in that application - there'd probably be a dedicated subwoofer output on the accompanying, intended amp.

That said, it may also work in the DM4800's second monitor output (4800 have two, if I'm not mistaken). The big issue here is not just the crossover, but the level. It's very easy to get fooled with a subwoofer in the studio; unless it's carefully set up - test mixes made and referenced on a variety of playback devices - there's a danger of inadvertently creating WEAK bass tracks.

I have a 'sub' in my studio; but it's not a subwoofer in the usual sense. It's a large cone woofer in a big cabinet, placed in the center, behind my console desk. It's fed by the same amp that feeds my Tannoy System 8s and Auratones. I have it dialed in to the extent it doesn't sound THAT good. What it provides, though, is enough 60hz bass information to give me a picture of the overall balance.

But that's just my preference. I don't believe mixing monitors should sound stellar in the 'home audio' sense. I want them to sound transparent and 'true.' So if something sounds like sh*te - it probably IS sh*te. :cool:

CaptDan

captdan said:
Here's my two cents (worth less with inflation. ;)

That said, it may also work in the DM4800's second monitor output (4800 have two, if I'm not mistaken). The big issue here is not just the crossover, but the level. It's very easy to get fooled with a subwoofer in the studio; unless it's carefully set up - test mixes made and referenced on a variety of playback devices - there's a danger of inadvertently creating WEAK bass tracks.

Roger that. I had a deep, pumpin' sub in my room for a while on spec, and I gave it back. I'm almost always mixing for TV, radio or ear buds, and the sub made me mix wrong.

I use a sub in my control room and at my mastering desk .....but they do need to be setup with with great care to avoid problem mixes and masters

In my case, I found that setting it up right meant turning it down so I could barely hear it. :)

It really gets down to what you're doing. If mixing 5:1 surround film tracks, a carefully tuned sub (not to mention - room) is necessary. Music CDs, commercials, etc - are a different animal, though, because - as Jim mentions - a vast majority of listeners will be using portable devices - earbuds, small speakers, etc. Results have to 'translate' to a fairly specific delivery system.

I used a home theatre type subwoofer in my first studio 12 years ago. The mixes I did generally featured very poor bass. That was because I was 'falling in love' with the bass sound in the studio, while fooling my ears into believing something existed when it wasn't actually being 'printed.' One learns from one's mistakes - hopefully. :)

CaptDan

captdan said:
The mixes I did generally featured very poor bass. That was because I was 'falling in love' with the bass sound in the studio, while fooling my ears into believing something existed when it wasn't actually being 'printed.' One learns from one's mistakes - hopefully.
True words, captain. The opposite is also true. My first 'real' monitors were NS-10s, and all mixes I initially did turned out quite 'bassy' - from lack of it in the listening room. The next set - Tannoy System 12 - gave and give a much better picture. Still love the detail in the middle of those NS-10s though..

Best of both worlds: System 12 AND 'Nasty-Tens' :)

Nice thing about those Tannoy 'system' monitors is the integrated driver; tweeter/woofer out of a single 'hole.' No crossover issues; accurate midrange - no hyped high end.

Still, the NS-10s have their strengths too. Once you get used to how they present, they can be quite effective. After all these years, many engineers still rely on them for accuracy.

Both are excellent nearfields, IMO. There are very few others I'd like better - including those ultra expensive Adams. But for sheer 'horror,' nothing beats my 3" 'HorrorTones.' Luv those little buggers. :)

CaptDan

New threads

Members online