Successful x-48 rescues

mixerizer

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DM-4800, -24, X-48, r250n
Hi folks, just a bit of good news to report. Picked up a pair of x-48s this year and restored them both, beginning w the great BIOS setup instructions here on the forums.

After we got em working, my buddy took one and I kept the other. This month, the one in my studio started having playback issues after a restart. Essentially, it would freeze, lose clock and stutter during recording and playback, be very slow to respond to transport control, etc, but it took longer to freeze if fewer tracks were recording or playing.

I was worried it could be the clock board, but that behavior also suggested something about throughput to the drive (fragmentation and formatting). So, I ran the drive benchmarking and saw an appalling 14/18 tracks of read/write speed!

Figuring I might as well start at the beginning, I grabbed my older USB Mac SuperDrive DVD-RAM drive and attached it to my TB3 Mac laptop, found a blank CD-R, burned a copy of the 1.20 system restore .iso available on the TASCAM site, popped the DVD tray on the x-48 open w a paper clip and gentle pressure on the top of the tray, and after a restart, installation and full format of the internal drive, I had a fully working x-48. Thankfully, the word clock function appears to function properly.

And the benchmarking performance went from 14/18 tracks to 208/248 tracks.

I had also picked up an inexpensive $50 SATA 2TB 7200rpm in case the stock 80GB drive was toast, so I will install that big drive into the secondary SATA bus later on.

X-48 FTW

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Forgot to add, I replaced and dated the battery as well as cleaning and re-seating the connectors that were easily,accessible.

Reactions: befro and -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.