Tape oscillating across heads

Compton

Gear owned
Tascam 32-2B
Having recently removed my Tascam 32-2B from dry storage and carried out a belts change. The machine is functioning mechanically. (All the transport functions are working)

The issue now is that the machine does not record or play back consistently. The tape is not tight to the heads moves up and down (oscillates) across the heads and RH side pinch wheel. This only happens (oscillates) at high speed (15 ips). It does not happen (no oscillation) when the tape speed is set to low (7.5 ips)

I have cleaned the heads and tape path items including the pinch rollers. I am also using new RTM tape. (I do not have any old tape)

I have prepared a short video demonstrating the current situation.

It has been suggested on another post that the heads be moved forward but before I attempt this I will be grateful for any other views or advice.

Here is the link to the short video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pp3tfm2okqun7et/32-2B_Tape Oscillating Across The Heads.AVI?dl=0

Last edited:
Takeup side torque is set correctly? What do you mean by "pinch roller is reconditioned"? Roller pressure is set correctly? I would not torture a brand new tape until I set everything correctly..

Hi Laszlo.
Thank you for commenting.

I have cleaned the pinch roller tyres and applied a rubber cleaner and rejuvenator (CalKleen RBR) The product purports to re-condition rubber surfaces and bring back it's original surface texture, flexibility and usability. The tyres now have some springiness and grip (not hard)

Re Takeup side torque being set correctly. Do you mean the take up reel torque.

Have you any further information on how to set the roller pressure?

Thanks

Hello,
forget that rejuvenator bullshit. Bad roller is a bad roller. It should be probably replaced by a new one, or send it to Terry's to put a new rubber on it. Dont even think about changing the rubber with the one you can get on Ebay, it is just a short term solution. Roller pressure should be some 1,5 kg (if I remember correctly). and you can adjust it by changing the position of the roller solenoid. Refer to the service manual anyway, you can download it from the net..
Laszlo
https://usermanual.wiki/Collections...Tascam 32-2 Tape Deck Service Manual.pdf.html

The thing you call oscillation is tape skew. This can be difficult to figure out. The small differences that are seem make a big difference such as the meet up of the roller surface to the capstan shaft. The pressure of the roller may have to be adjusted as the roller shrink from many cleanings then the pressure will also decrease. New Roller from Terry is always a good idea if they are not relatively new. Now what is new? Rollers that have sat in a cardboard bin for 30 years? At least with Terry's rollers you get rubber from now that 30 years ago. I talked with his recently and he is getting back to normal somewhat. The capstan belts on high speed dual capstan deck also have to be the right ones. Just like on a X1000R with a single belt once they get over 17" they are no longer going to control the tape properly. According to the PRB data cross the capstan be;t should be a FR15.3 belt. Is that what you have on there or a belt from an E bay kit that 99% are wrong. This is why I do not buy kits as they don't know what they are selling they are JUST selling. Another trick is to use a 5 minute treatment of the capstan shafts with sandpaper on rollers at the same time with no tape of course. This will give the capstan shaf a rough surface to grip and control the tape more correctly- I have done it many times but not always. 150 Grit new paper will work best. Amsoil in the capstan bearing is the best to use in any of these machines. How else can you get wow and flutter to .02% in an of A2000R? I use the signature series 0W30.

Also it depends on if someone played with Pinch roller nut at top. Often times I can see that they are adjusted all over the place and one I had was high wow and flutter at the end of tape so I touched the pinch roller and the tape stopped- this should never happen. I adjusted the pressure and the wow and flutter went away- the nut is adjusted by effect and the spacing of bumpers is an assembly line instruction to get in the area. It is a weird took to adjust that nut but once you have it you can effect many a repair from the do it yourself crowd that likes to turn every screw.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.