Tascam 112R challenges and issue

Charles Bokor

Gear owned
Tascam 112R
Hello
I'm the happy owner of a cassette deck ilabeled as TASCAM 112R.

My first challenge is to identify the exact model. All pictures I find on Google looking for "Tascam 112R" show a machine with analog VUs. My device has LED bargraphs. So what is it ?

Charles.

What I see from Googling here, is that the one with VU meters is a Tascam 112R mkII and the LED one is simply 112R. Hope that helps..

I am not good at guessing so I turn the deck around and read the model off the serial number tag- it should be on the front panel somewhere too .

Thanks Arjan and SkywaveTDR ! This clarify indeed the things.

The deck was working OK when I received. But now I've an issue.
Fast forward and Reverse is OK. Normal play does not work. When I power the deck up, some motor starts humming, the head rotates (normal<-> reverse position) and then everything stops. I need to cycle power to get some movement again. Belts seem OK as far as I can see without dismounting everything.

Does this ring a bell for someone ? Any direction to invesigate ?

Thanks !!!

If the mechanism has not been serviced recently or by a person who know what correct grease to put into it then, it sounds like you are headed for that kind of job. If you do not want to take the thing apart like I do then you will need to send it to someone who does the work and can make the deck like new. buying used and units that have sat around for a long time is no guarantee that the unit will work correctly. In fact I am working on a X10R now that was stored but I can see from the problems it had besides the stuck pinch roller linkage that some amateur were at it and made several mistakes. I also just got in a 122 Mk III that also has mechanism and speed problems- they all have the need for some level of maintenance. It is no wonder I am always so busy here.

Thanks Skywave - I was hoping not to have to take everything apart, but it seems that I'll have to do it. Cost of sending it to repair somewhere and cost of repair will most probably exceed the value this device has to me.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.