TASCAM 122 MKIII - on Bias / Level issues (Type I tapes)

Discussion in 'TASCAM Analog Forum' started by rainermb, Apr 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM.

1. rainermb

rainermb New Member

Gear:
    TASCAM 122 MKIII
    Hi people! I own a very clean and very good shape TASCAM 122 MKIII tape deck, has been working fine in general. There is no physical nor any "systemic" damage so far. I own it since 2019 already in good shape.

I got it because I had a plan to switch to cassettes for home recording purposes (no, I am not trying to mimic reel-to-reel or anything like that). So I have a "flat" recording system integrated to tape deck (a analog mixer, some cable managment, aux sends, etc) and everything works great so far. I have done many recordings to it ("mastering" mixes and so on).
    But I got used to something that, right now, I think that may be an issue: the low level recording metters for 10khz. I live in Brasil and the only affordable tapes you can find are Ferric type I (its ok, I like them) so these are my tapes, I have plenty of them (Samsung SQC 60, in my case).

The point is: I can calibrate the deck with the built-in OSC (400hz) and 10khz keys - and also I can input a generated tone and it works ok too. But I never get, no matter what, an aproximaton between 400hz and 10khz recording levels.
    Maximum VU levels I get for 400hz is around -3db and for 10khz I get around -10db. I know it doesn't need to be at 0db, and also I am using only just good (not excelente) Type I tapes.

If anyone have any tips I would appreciate. :)

Thanks!
  2. Laszlo

Laszlo New Member

Near Budapest, Hungary
    Gear:
    34B, 122 MKIII, X-300
    Hello,
    there can be several reasons for that. You need to go through the usual calibration steps if you have not done it yourself and remember that it was oonce calibrated. It is either play EQ or Rec EQ out of calibration, if otherwise the heads are clean, properly aligned and not worn overly..