Tascam 244 Transport.... so close

dimy

Hi all, replaced the capstan belt, control belt, and pinch roller wheel on a Tascam 244. I did not replace the idler tires as they seemed ok, maybe slightly hardened. I have the back open and when I start it up with a tape in or my finger on those little levers that sense the tape, the capstan starts spinning. When I use the transport controls (Play/FF/RW the same thing happens for all three), I can see the control belt snap the control gears to the proper positions and the tape starts spinning at the right speeds and directions, but after about 2-3 seconds the control belt brings the gears back to the STOP point, the tape stops spinning and the heads retract.

I did remove the bar over the transport gear in order to clean gunk, but I paid close attention to the potentiometer position when I put it back, so unless anyone is sure that the control pot can cause this issue, I would think it's probably something else.

Any ideas whether this could be a problem with the idler tires being too hard and slipping? Possibly the capstan spinning too slowly and the machine thinks there's resistance and is automatically stopping the transport system? Or could it be an electrical problem (please no, over my head lol)

If anyone out there has had this problem and knows a solution, or has any ideas I would appreciate it. Tryna resurrect this thing so I can throw my iPhone in the ocean (just kidding but not really).

Usually that stop is due to the mechanism controller not getting to a finished state so the mechanism does not know the position is obtained. The old mechanism with old grease will stop item from getting to the finished area. People don't seem to pay attention to having to clean the mechanical parts and then they have trouble. When I do the 488 on my bench and I put it together the unit works perfect. Nothing has old old grease on it. I take it apart and clean and regrease using Lubriplate 105.

That is good to know. I will definitely give it a try but I'm not sure this is the problem because both the capstan and the control mechanism move quickly and smoothly once they are triggered.

I also found out the transport works perfectly if I hold down the Play or FF or RW button if that could indicate something.

LMAO yo ok so this is super embarrassing but I wired the transport incorrectly when I put it back in.... there's 2 3-wire connectors (one goes to the pitch pot and one plugs in underneath the transport) and I mixed them up. For thanks for the help... and anyone working on one of these things TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE YOU UNPLUG ANYTHING.... or just don't be dumb like me.

In all my years I had never had this problem. Sometimes people take connectors off that they should not be touching but as long as it is working now.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.