Tascam 34B not playing - where to start?

Steve_in_NJ

Gear owned
Tascam 34B
I worked with the Tascam 34B back in the 80s and now I just acquired one from a business acquaintance. The
deck had sat in a road case for MANY years. The pinch roller had turned to goo, so I got it rebuilt by Terry Witt.

Now my problem is that although the machine can fast-forward and rewind just fine, but it won't PLAY. Please
see this brief video that illustrates the problem.

This is what I have observed:

- When I hit "play", the capstan head does NOT spin. Turning it manually creates a tiny bit of momentum,
moving the tape along just a bit.
- Lifting the takeup-side tension arm initiates a slight whirring inside the machine.
- Lifting the feed-side tension arm does not.

I can use some help as to where to start troubleshooting this machine. Though I used the 34B quite a bit back
in the day, I never had to fix one. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Steve

Saw your post on tapeheads.net

I (as quiberon) and others have posted posted replies on there.

Tapeheads is frequented more than here.

Regards

Seems to me that there is no capstan rotation at all so a belt is to be inspected.

Oh yes that's it for sure. The belt turned to goo. I have just received a new belt from Teac and will be installing it shortly. I will discuss progress on the tapeheads thread.

La correa de trasmision esta partida. Seguro.

The same type of belt can also be obtained at Consolidated Electronics at a much reduced cost. Oiling of the motor front bearing and the capstan bearing using AMS Signature oil has given me some tremendous results even on older machines. One A2000R I did had a wow and flutter of .02% which is not often seen. I can only attribute it to the AMS oil I have started to use. It is a high grade synthetic better than Mobile One.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.