Tascam 388 to DP-32sd transfer

edlewis5

Gear owned
dp-32sd
Hello, I have an old reel of my sons band when he was 12, 30 years ago, recorded on a Tascam 388. It is not mixed down or mastered, all individual tracks, about 5 songs worth. I have no means of mastering in analog now, can I go from "tape out" of the 388 directly into the "mic/line in" of the DP-32sd?
Thanks Ed

That should totally be possible, assuming the DP-32sd can record 8 tracks at once. Otherwise it's still possible but you'd need to synchronize tracks.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the DP will chime in..

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks for the reply, Yes it can do 8 at once. On paper it sounds right, but wanted to check with others first. Thanks

Yes, you can go directly into your DP-32SD.

Set the portastudio's Channel A~H Trim Knobs full counter clockwise (line level). Don't worry about the incoming recording signal level on the portastudio as long as the incoming transients are no more than slightly in the green on the track meters and the average level is between -24 and -12 dBFS.

If the R-R tape is consumer grade you should be able to play it through with minimal shedding. If it's professional grade (Scotch 206, Ampex 456 etc.) you will likely have significant "sticky shed" problems that will require first baking the tape for several hours. If so, you might want to search here for posts about that.

Last edited:
I do not have the tape in my possession at the moment, but I believe it is Ampex 456. Thanks for the reply, I will check out posts about baking it.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.