Tascam 488 mk2 Repair

Dimi

Gear owned
Tascam 488 mk2
Hi all,

I have tried to turn on my recently bought Tascam 488, only to see it going up in smokes.
For its power cable, I've used a normal adaptor EU to UK (it actually fits) straight into the socket . I now know I messed up the different currents possibly making the most silly mistake ever.
Can it be repaired? I assumed a machine like this would have a fuse for protection?

thanks in advance,
Dimi

Did you actually see smoke or smell burning components? I looked at the service manual and there are three fuses on the AC input side before the PS rectifiers. If "up in smoke" is being used as a figure of speech, the fuses "may" have provided some protection but, if you actually saw smoke you have bigger problems (think transformer windings if improper input voltage was applied). Most anything can be repaired but it may cost you more than the unit is worth. Unit appears relatively easy to open so you could always UNPLUG, open it up, and do a visual inspection of components and fuses. Snap some pics and let us see the damage.

Last edited:
Thanks Steven,
I will send some pics, and yes I did see smoke coming up for real.

cheers

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
Yikes! Well that is never good. Be interested to see what your "investigation" reveals. Good luck.

Not to sound too negative although it comes across that way, what did you plug the deck up to? There is far too much detail being left out here. Did the 120V unit get connected to 240V?
Was it working and just happen to do this? There are some things that can be repaired and then some things that might be so far reaching into the deck that it will be very costly to repair. I have worked on a number of decks this year and I have always sent them out working. I think I have one in shop now.

You might luck out and just have a fuse resistor go out provided you go find what part went short to cause that. A visual inspection is needed at this point.

A lot of Tascam machines show fuses in the schematics,but just have wire jumpers where the fuses go, and have an internal fuse in the transformer. As Sky asked " is it a 120v model"?

New threads

Members online