Tascam 488 will only play, record and ff & rw for 2 seconds and stops?

dotman500

Gear owned
tascam 488
My tascam 488 is only able to play, record, ff & rw for 2 seconds and stops? why is this. the pause engages and disengages perfectly fine but has not been tested with the tape while in play due to the above reasons. I replaced the capstan belt, the capstan motor runs continuously as it should and pitch control seems operational, the pinch roller is soft and has not hardened. every thing seems operational but as said above only for two seconds, I have hooked up my headphones and i do receive audio. the unit was purchased in this condition. Could it possibly be a bad reel dc motor ? if it is could anyone specify the model, I would appreciate the help. thanks. Also I attached a quick video link of the unit operating if it helps at all with the diagnosis. sorry poor lighting.

I had one recently that did that and it was the tape in switch that was dirty. If you think about it what else could it be besides the reel motor having a dead spot of Idler tire with a cracked tire.
I spray mine with a paper towel around and then it worked fine.
That yellow tube and system that Caig used for their Deoxit has made nothing but a mess of the whole use of their product- ir drips out the trigger area and then the tube sprays all over rather than where you want it. This Yellow tube was designed to waste 1/2 the product you buy. I wish they go back to the red tube. They are much more usuable.

Thanks for the heads up, where is the tape switch located and look like?

It is in the upper corner usually. On the Mk II it is on the right side but the 488 it might be another place. When you press it and the deck accepts commands that is the switch.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.