Tascam 788 Firmware ISO Files

Discussion in '788 Digital Portastudio' started by Bravin Neff, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff New Member

Gear:
    DR-05X, TSR-8, 788,
    It has been a few years since anyone asked, so I don't assume there are many folks left maintaining active 788 firmware ISO files.

HOWEVER. There is a Tascam-subsidiary website that appears to maintain some. You can see it here: http://tascam-ca.com/product/788/downloads/

Note that they keep V1.05, V1.10 and V2.02 there. My question is: the files are *.zip files, and if you extract them they do not end in *.iso. I assume these are not writeable ISO files. Can anyone weigh in as to what these files are, and how to use them? Thank you.

Regards,
    Bravin Neff
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff New Member

Gear:
    DR-05X, TSR-8, 788,
    Anyone know?
  3. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff New Member

Gear:
    DR-05X, TSR-8, 788,
    For the future researchers...

I downloaded the v2.02 firmware file. On my Windows PC, I loaded the CDR drive with a blank 700MB CD. I dragged the Tascam 2.02 file over to the CDR icon, and burned the disc.

I then went over to my V1.07 Tascam 788. Turned on the Tascam CD burner with the 788 off, loaded the drive with the newly burned disc, waited for the light to register it. And after it did that, I plugged the CD burner's SCSI cable into the 788 and turned on the 788.

It was automatic from there. The 788 booted up, connected with the CDR drive, read the burnt 2.02 disc, updated itself, then ejected the disc, all with no intervention from me. My 788 is now V2.02.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021