Tascam announced the Sonicview mixers. Any info besides the press releases?

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
The info says it's geared towards recording with a built in recorder but also is treading toward the the X32/M32 type mixers. It does not appear these mixers have machine control/hui stuff included so the control surface functionality doesn't seem to be a thing. I hope I'm wrong.

I also didn't see any transport or DAW controls. The M/X32 consoles use MIDI and OSC to accomplish those tasks and there are 3rd party software solutions that offer transport control using the user-assigned buttons on those desks. The Sonicview desks appear to have a large number of user-assigned buttons but until there is more information no one knows if Tascam has provided a way to control external devices such as a DAW in like manner.

IMO, although Dante built-in is a fantastic capability, a Behringer Wing with either internal or external Dante is considerably cheaper and a better option. At this point, I'm not seeing a use for this console series yet, except for live shows.

Reactions: dctdct and Arjan P
I downloaded and went through the manual. It seems to have the same quality of info consistent with the DM3200/4800 manual, which isn't great. The old DM24 manual was excellent.

The only notable feature that makes it a cut above the behringer offerings is 96k operation. While I'd mostly written off a follow up on the DM4800 from Tascam but I hoped they would expand on the built-in channel processing.

The Madi card is $1300 bucks. Ouch! I'd rather ditch the onboard recorder card for a choice.

My dm4800 is a major digital hub in my studio and it's a force multiplier allowing me to digitally configure and combine my outboard preamps and converters with the internal preamps. I can pre-mix into pro tools and juice up the raw tracks which I find really helps down the line. I'd like for this new offering to be more inspiring.

Reactions: mixerizer
But it comes with Dante, natively. No need for Madi with Dante for free.

Madi and Dante are quite a bit different from each other. One being point to point and the other being network. If one is already using Madi switching to Dante would be a big investment, It would cost me more than the Sonicview 24 even coasts.

Last edited:
My DM4800 is a hub for all my gear in the studio but the connectivity is via a Motu 112d which has Madi and AVB. The Motu is what connects my apogee converters to my mixer. With a Madi card I could simplify my connectivity greatly with one of these mixers.

In my particular setup, I can only use two aes cards in my dm4800 for some reason. The 3rd card won't consistently transmit more than 4 channels. I use a spare DM3200 as a giant aes to tdif adapter. I'm going to be moving my studio in the next year or so.

I've done as much as a I can to lengthen the life of my Dm mixers but I know they won't last forever. As a workflow tool, my mixer is quite in the operational center. Adapting away from it would be quite a huge change at an enormous expense. If I could pull it off I'd switch to Burl converters and an API desk or similar. I mainly mix in the box but i do a lot on the way in.

Madi and Dante are quite a bit different from each other. One being point to point and the other being network. If one is already using Madi switching to Dante would be a big investment, It would cost me more than the Sonicview 24 even coasts.

How many channels of outboard gear do you have connected via Madi?

I have zero at this point. The DM4800 doesn't support Madi. I currently have 32 channels of apogee AD converters and 16 DA converters connected to a Motu interface that also includes madi and AVB. If I wanted to move forward with my current setup and continue my current workflow, the sonicview with a madi card would be a tidy step forward into the future. Of course the Sonicview lacks AES output built-in like the DM4800. My mixer's AES is connected to my Trinnov. While I do use the mixer's mic preamps for talk-backs, I don't use any Tascam analog signals for anything critical. It's an amazing piece of digital hardware. I wish cheerleading for it would be meaningful.

Thanks @wm_b With some updates such as a color screen, and more networking options the DM series could have remained a flagship console even to this day. The built-in automation is something you don't see at that price level. A shame really because if there were new expansion cards one could keep a console going virtually indefinitely. Of course schematics exist and it could be done by some enterprising individual but that is unlikely. A solid 48x48 USB card would breathe new life into that series. But I digress from the topic. Clearly Tascam wants to sell Sonicview consoles and not DM expansion cards.

Perhaps in another thread but I would love to hear about the Trinnov!

fyi - while I’m at 48k, I use MADI i/o for 56x56 in and out of the DM-4800, and I use ADAT for 8x8 on the internal ADAT port.

all 3 of the board’s TDIF ports, and all four slots via AES expansion cards, are fed by a single Euphonix FC-726, via BNC MADI audio using a MOTU 112d. There is a second 112D in the mix rack, along w a MOTU M64. The direct and buss outs are routed to the x-48 (two AES cards installed) and playback routed back to the board, via BNC MADI using the second 112D and another FC-726. Routing of system audio to and from synths, instruments, drums, effects, etc is done in AVB to present the sources and destinations on the 112D serving the board. Any needed custom playback routing during tracking is done on the board or with the Andiamo AES (for switching in sources on AES) and RME ADI-648 (for switching in sources on ADAT), both inline in the MADI stream between the 112d and FC-726/ DM. The combo works wonderfully. The M64 serves BNC MADI to a Euphonix MA-703 24-ch D-A converter for DAW, v-drums and other born digital sources to benefit from the DM mic pre’s, and optical MADI to an iBox TA-MADI-64 providing 24ch TDIF and 24ch analog i/o for outboard effects sends, fx submixing on a separate DM-24, and returns back to the DM-4800 board.

I love the DM profile - i have a lot of screens already in the studio so I think I’m good w my setup for now - at least until a board makes me love it this much.

PS googling the Trinnov :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
also note - in addition to 64ch of AVB, 56/64ch of MADI, 24ch of AES and 24ch of ADAT i/o each,the two 112D units have 48-channel to and from DAW via their thunderbolt ports - so I can mix, safety, print or playback to/from DAW on any or all 48ch, on either or both devices, in parallel to the hardware workflow. Helps provide those finite editing and dsp capabilities without depending on or rewiring for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
"Perhaps in another thread but I would love to hear about the Trinnov!"

The short answer is that in my case it made a bigger difference than sonarworks, especially in the imaging department.

Slightly longer answer is that before I bought it I watched a bunch of videos and reviews thinking they weren't doing a good job of demonstrating what it does. My thought was that I'd make the video I wanted to see to answer my questions. I tried several times to demonstrate the most obvious audible change (which was focusing my kick drum fundamental). I couldn't get it to translate audibly into a mic in a way that would be compelling. After some time, my drive to make that video diminished because I simply enjoyed working so much that I didn't care. My only criticism is that it's clunky to control. 3 options: a $700 volume control, using a web page in a browser, or using a tablet with the web page up. At the very least, a foot switchable bypass/mute would be handy as hell.

How many channels of outboard gear do you have connected via Madi?
-mjk-:
I have 86 to 94 depending on the sample rate , however it is not just about channel count , but the quality converters that would have to be replaced or the format changed (the cheaper option) from Madi to Dante and back again with something like Verto Mx or one of the RME units which would cost at least $3,000. while adding latency. The Tascam Madi card seems like a bargain both in cost comparison and more importantly ease of use if one is already using Madi.

Last edited:
Agreed! I'm looking at one of the Tascam 32 channel Dante converters and they are around 73 Euros/channel.

@mixerizer said:
The combo works wonderfully.

The description sounds amazing!

I've heard nothing but good about any Trinnov system. I know what they do but I was more interested in what it is doing for you so thanks for the details!

thanks mjk! Hope to post some diagrams and pics of my setup as time and modesty permit.

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm looking forward to that @mixerizer! Don't be shy though!

New threads

Members online