Tascam DP-008EX knob

dad roadie

Gear owned
Tascam DP 008EX Tascam
Hi To all,
I recently purchased a Tascam DP-008EX to use along with my DP05 and Tascam M106 board.
Several of the pan knobs do not line up at the 12 o'clock position when the control is in the center dentent position. While this appears to be a cosmetic issue I would have expected a little better quality control for
a unit at this price. My question does anyone know if I can remove the knob by pulling straight up and re
aligning it correctly without hurting the unit? I want to ask before I do this as the recorder is brand new. I would rather not return it since everything else appears to be working correctly.
I can add a photo if needed.
Thanks to all in advance!
Dad Roadie

You bought a digital 8-track recorder for $150 and expect better "at this price?" Yeah, you're right... that's the kind of sloppy workmanship you'd only expect on the 70 dollar digital 8-track recorder. o_O

Okay, I'm just busting chops because I remember when a 4-track TEAC deck cost $1,400, no mixer included, and a reel of tape was 70 bucks.

The knobs most likely pull straight off. A pair of tea spoons make fine prybars for knobs, or you can grab them with one of those textured rubber sheets that help you open a jar. Be gentle, and if they don't come off then don't force them.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm still a little nervous about the knobs they seem pretty tight on the shaft. It would be my dumb luck to break one of the pots!

A couple of questions from a total newbie with digital.
I wanted to pick up another card for the recorder. Does anyone know where it lists recording times by size of card? I still have not found it in the manual. If I stick with a SanDisk card I'm I pretty safe as far as compatibility?
Does Tascam make a digital tutorial for the DP-008EX ?
I'm still having some issues understanding how to download a file (song)to the computer.
I really miss the old analog days with my reel to reel and my mixer.
Luckily I kept the M106 but lost the reel to reel some time ago.
Thanks again to all!
Dad Roadie

Hey Dad Roadie,
I imagine you've probably worked some of these issues out since May.
-not sure about the card, I've never had card issues and I buy whatever. I'm currently using a PNY 16 gig in my 008 for at least a year with no problem. San Disc Should be fine.
-don't know about a dvd but I thought the manual was pretty good. Not impressed by the DP24 manual, seems very vague. I've always thought the 008 was very intuitive and easy to fumble around. Probably some YouTube videos out there.
- under menu go to import/export. From there you can export individual tracks into wav files or export a mix &/or master as a wav. Then either take card out or hook up usb, files in the folder that pops up on your computer called wav (I think)
-I don't miss the analogue days at all. I love the quality, speed and price!!!
Good luck brother,
Rock on!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.