Tascam DP-24SD

Charles Valona

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
Hello everyone, all of a sudden channel 2's volume drops in & out. The volume could be just find
and then for no reason disappears or becomes faint or both. It comes in & out ?

Please, can someone please help me understand what's going on?

Much Peace

Hi Charles. Are you saying that playback level on track 2 is inconsistent?

Make sure that insert effects on track 2 are off. After that, you could suspect the fader may be dirty. Try exporting that track and importing it to another track. See if you experience the same issues on the new track.

Thank You for getting back to me. Yes the insert FX are turned off as you suggested.

So just short of disassembling the unit I squirted a little bit of De-Oxit into the fader and
used some compressed air to blow it around and also dry it out.

The problem has disappeared and I haven't had the problem for over 12 hours of use so far.

I tried to find other threads relating to folks using de-oxit on the faders, but I could not find any thing.

I hope the de-oxit chemical will be OK in there, so far so good, in fact now channel 2 output
volume seems louder than all of the other channels ?

QUESTION: Since it now seems like channel 2 is working perfectly and even seems louder than all of the other channels, should I give each channel fader a short burst of the De-Oxit ?

I bought this DP-24SD used, but it's only 1 year and 3 months old. From 2 feet away the unit appears as brand new, not a mark on it.

However, the previous owner wasn't using it and he had it stored out in his garage where it
was collecting dust and who knows what else. I'm just wondering if the faders just need a little cleaning and some compressed air blown into them to help clean things out a little ?

Much Peace and thank you so much once again, Charles

Charles, I have used Deoxit, Cramolin R5 and many other Caig laboratories products professionally in the broadcast and recording fields for decades. In one case, I was able to restore full functionality to a $150k Neve console that was severely neglected and had become contaminated, by cleaning with Caig products. In another case, I dug up a 1-1/2" coax hardline that had been damaged during construction (found the problem with a TDR). I cut out the bad section and replaced it, sealed and reburied. When reporting to the chief engineer, he specifically asked me if I had used Cramolin R5 on the connections. I had, and he was relieved (Cramolin R5 was replaced by Deoxit).

Cleaning the switches, rotary controls and faders on your machine with Deoxit is not only safe, it's recommended. I sprayed every single switch and control on my used DP-32 (but NOT THE ENCODERS) with a German product we have in Taiwan (it smells just like Cramolin), and immediately all my input trim pots became free turning and the scratchiness disappeared.

Have no fear, use it as necessary. Apply a small squirt at a time. Repeat as required, a little at a time, and exercise the control to distribute the product around on the inside of the control or switch.

Thank You so very much for helping me. I will do as you suggest. Much Peace, Charle

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online