Tascam dp 32cd

Robin Bold

Gear owned
Tascam dp32
Hi new to the forum. Had my dp 32 cd for 3 weeks and I love it, however I'm having a reocurring problem. The machine will often not stop when in recording mode and nothing I press makes any difference. I resort to turning it off by unplugging. I updated the firmware and got the approved San Disk 32 gb sd card. Can anyone please help?

Hi Robin, and welcome to the forum. Was the machine brand new or 2nd hand? My first guess would be the Stop button is faulty or dirty, so cleaning it may help. There's plenty of advice here re. using cleaning fluid such as Deoxit. Let us know if that fixes the problem. Turning the machine off by unplugging will eventually corrupt the sd-card.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Phil thanks for replying. No its an old one with the cd function I bought on Reverb.com from Spain. Ok I'll take your advice and try cleaning the stop button. Don't have any Deoxit but will get some thank you. Didn't realise I could corrupt the sd card unplugging like tbat eek! Let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Is there any other option than unplugging if the machine seems to have crashed ie no buttons react?

Reactions: -mjk-
Well yeah! Ok I applied some WD40 on the Stop button 15 mins ago so will see how I go on tomorrow recording a trial song. Thanks again Phil, let you know.

Is there any other option than unplugging if the machine seems to have crashed ie no buttons react?

The machine isn't crashing. The button presses don't seem to be registering.

I have a question. How do you stop Playback? You can stop recording by either pressing Stop or Record. In order to start Record, the button has to work in the first place. Does it take multiple, or overly hard presses to get Playback to start or stop?

This really sounds like a button issue. I also bought an older DP-32 and I had to spray every button and control (except the encoders!) on the machine. Everything works well, usually. If a button starts to get intermittent, I give it another shot and it's good to go again.

You can also pick up a footswitch.

Well yeah! Ok I applied some WD40 on the Stop button 15 mins ago so will see how I go on tomorrow recording a trial song. Thanks again Phil, let you know.

OH NO!!!!! WD-40 is a penetrating oil who's primary purpose it to unseize mechanical parts! Yes, I know they recommended it for car electrical systems. A car is not a digital recorder. If you use WD-40 on a bicycle wheel axle for example, you have to later go back and lubricate it with a proper, non-penetrating oil because WD-40 will dissolve whatever beneficial lubricants are in whatever you spray it on, including switches and potentiometers. Phil specifically said for you to use DeOxit.

Immediately
, get some DeOxit or another high quality brand of electrical contact cleaner. You'll have to use a rag or kitchen paper (paper towels) on the surface of the unit because you're going to have to flush all that WD-40 out of the switches! Do this with the machine off and unplugged.

Prepare for the fact that on the large buttons with the graphics on them, like Play and Record, will most likely become discolored due to being thoroughly wetted by the contact cleaner.

Wait several minutes for the spray vehicle to evaporate.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi Mjk, no the dp 32cd playback normally starts fine with no pressure but simply won't stop sometimes. I'm no techy but just thought when no buttons work that equals crash?

I looked up WD 40 compared to DeOxit and thet seemed similar...obviously not then ( boy this is a learning curve haha)..will get some DeOxit asap.

*If*... the Stop button problem persists - you might want to consider buying the remote foot switch. It's what I use primarily.... for start/stop/rewind/record functions.

Yes I think that's the way to go David I will get one definetly. So far so good today with it anyway....thanks guys!

Hi Mjk, no the dp 32cd playback normally starts fine with no pressure but simply won't stop sometimes. I'm no techy but just thought when no buttons work that equals crash?

I looked up WD 40 compared to DeOxit and thet seemed similar...obviously not then ( boy this is a learning curve haha)..will get some DeOxit asap.

When your doorbell stops working, is it a software crash, or a faulty switch? These issues are nothing new, and as I said, I've personally experienced them. I also questioned how hard I had to press some of those buttons to get them to register. Some high-quality contact cleaner solved the issue.

The sooner, the better, I would say.

*If*... the Stop button problem persists - you might want to consider buying the remote foot switch. It's what I use primarily.... for start/stop/rewind/record functions.

Ditto that. My footswitch arrived before my DP-32 did.

New threads

Members online