Tascam DPs Just Got Some Competition

Have you taken into account what the Customs duty is on imported electronics? I paid about $3,000 USD for an X32 console here in Taiwan. When I priced buying one and importing it, the cost was just about the same plus a modest profit. Too often people are quick to call greed but don't take into consideration the issues of international shipping and import costs. The importer has to get paid for those efforts, which includes the services of an import broker.

you are wrong. Firstly, the importer does not pay $400 for it, most likely $250, sells it for $1,000 , that's a whopping 400% markup.I think he can pay sales tax and shipping out of his $750 profit lol

How can you not see this?

I'm not doing this with you.

Have you taken into account what the Customs duty is on imported electronics? I paid about $3,000 USD for an X32 console here in Taiwan. When I priced buying one and importing it, the cost was just about the same plus a modest profit. Too often people are quick to call greed but don't take into consideration the issues of international shipping and import costs. The importer has to get paid for those efforts, which includes the services of an import broker.

I actually thought about that after I replied and Googled it. I think the real answer in Australia lies more in the way infrastructure is funded there. The true intent of my post was for people to understand that 1,000 Aussie is not the same as 1,000 US. The rest was just speculation. I should have just stopped there.

FP

$400US is $500AU roughly. Still a long way to $1,000. Microsoft software cannot be bought from an overseas site, you have to pay at least double from the Microsoft Australia online store, it's the same product with a huge markup. It's our problem for sure, not the other end.

Just pointing out that what is cheap in some places isn't as cheap elsewhere.Not wishing to argue,but I know I'm right on this :)

Last edited:
@BazzBass When I first said that the Zoom R20 was cheap, my comment was based on the fact that it is cheaper than Model12, Model16, Model24, DP24Sd, DP32Sd and compared to other Zoom recorders as well.
In fact, on Thomann’s website, it is one of the cheapest recorders.

It sucks to hear that it will be so expensive in Australia.

@BazzBass but is it greed on the part of the sales company, or is it a systemic issue with the government?

Looks impressive to start with, but comes without Midi Clock. Cuts out a whole market segment of 'Dawless Music Makers'. Shame.

@BazzBass but is it greed on the part of the sales company, or is it a systemic issue with the government?

well picked up @mjk

yes it is a combination of the two

Take new car imports, the Government had a massive tax on imports to protect the local car manufacturers, but then they destroyed the car industry, yet imported cars are still attracting the huge import tax.....

New threads

Members online

No members online now.