Tascam DR-40 Just Stereo Information

Marcusbln

Hello

I got asked for Mastering a Tascam DR-40 recorded DJ Mix.
The file I received has just stereo information, if I play the file in mono i have almost 100% phase cancelation and then you hear nothing.

Did he make a mistake at the recording process and do you know how to avoid this problem in the future?

If the channels are out of polarity, load the file in a DAW (Audacity will do), invert the polarity of one channel - left or right, doesn't matter - and export to the original format, different name.

How to avoid it? Make sure the channel polarities are correct.

I just searched my manual (in PDF) and the only reference to "Phase" is the placement of the small internal microphone capsules - folded in (X-Y) reducing the risk of phase effects compared to having the capsules pointing away from each other.

You didn't say if this recording was with internal microphones or externals. There is no menu option to flip phase in any case. I can copy and paste the short sections from the manual if you want.

I would assume there were no mics involved since it's a DJ mix. So the source should be checked: does real stereo come out of the DJ console, or just a phase inverted mono signal? What outputs of the DJ console were used, and are there other options?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.