Tascam dr100mk3 recording CD's

pend1711

Gear owned
Tascam DR-100 mk3
I use the above to record my vinyl, dvda and sacd music with great results.

I now want to try recording some of my CD's and wonder whether to try using the cd player as a transport, into a high quality DAC, then into the Tascam.

However, does the Tascam have a DAC itself that will affect the audio qualty, meaning there is no advantage to buying a separate DAC?

Thanks

A digital transfer would give you the best quality, and avoid having to set playback & recording levels as you would with a real-time recording. Rip the CD into a wave file using a computer utility and copy/import it to the DR-100 as per page 45 in the manual. There's a list of acceptable formats so choose the highest quality. If your computer doesn't have a CD slot, you can get USB external CD drives.

Reactions: pend1711
Or, if your CD-player has a suitable digital output, you can use the Digital IN on the DR-100 and do a real time rcording from that.

Thanks for the replies. I know the sensible way is rip cd's in a laptop but playing cd's from my onkyo and oppo cd sounded better to me than my flac files. I realise likely to be different not better.

So i thought bettering the DAC i am recording from may be interesting. Not thought about the digital line in on the Tascam. I was just using rca outs to xlr. Interesting????

Thanks

New threads

Members online

No members online now.