Tascam FW 1082 - Cannot Connect to PC

lasthidingplace

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1082
Good morning / afternoon / evening,

I'm having trouble getting my Tascam FW 1082 connected to my PC. I've recently purchased this, and I'm really hoping it's not a faulty device I have.

When you power it up, everything seems to work as expected; all the lights come on, and when you press certain buttons the faders move around like witchcraft (much to the amusement of my 3 year old).

ANYWAY - THE PROBLEM!!

After installing all the latest drivers from the Tascam Website, I hook it up to the PC and...nothing. Nothing whatsoever; the firewire light doesn't light up, nothing happens on the PC whatsoever in regards to discovering a device or attempting to do anything whatsoever. The Tascam device itself seems to "freeze" when connected, and as soon as the Firewire cable is unplugged the "clock" light starts blinking again and everything works as normal.

Please note: although the latest drivers are installed, I cannot upgrade to the latest Firmware for obvious reasons (cannot connect it).

My slightly-technical rubbish:

-------------

Operating System:
Windows 7 64 Bit.

FireWire card:
PCI FIREWIRE 400 CARD - IEEE1394a - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - TI SINGLE CHIPSET

-------------

The other thing to note about the Firewire card is that it meets the specifications that are apparently outlined in Tascams guidelines (OCM compatible, 1394 etc).

Is it REALLY possible that a 1394 device won't run on a 1394a card? Or have I bought a 400 when in fact the Tascam requires an 800 card (something I couldn't find mention of in their userguide).

Look at the Firewire port.It is asymetrical.Look at the narrow end of the port.Is the seam on the chrome shield flared apart?.Yes-someone has forced the Firewire cable in upside down. This damages the Firewire comm.IC on the unit.It puts +5 VDC on the comm lines.Takes out the IC and the "pulldown resistors" associated with the comm. lines

Your Tascam unit was designed long before there even was Firewire 800.

I am having this exact same problem. Did anyone ever find a solution???

New threads

Members online

No members online now.