Tascam FW 1082 won't start, just stop button lights up

Discussion in 'Firewire PC Audio Interfaces and Control Surfaces' started by Paul Hirsch, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Paul Hirsch

Paul Hirsch New Member

Hi, i have a 1082 problem and hope you can help me. i use my unit maybe one year and it worked fine. The last few times when i started it, it did not start right away ,and when it did the complete set of lights was on longer as normal.

In the last week, it was taking longer and longer before the Tascam started and, today, the only light to start was the "Stop" button... and not more. No more light on the computer button or elsewhere, whether i have the fire wire cable plugged in it or not.

looking forward to hear from you. Peace
    Dave K likes this.
  2. DeeringAmps

DeeringAmps Member

Gear:
    FW-1884
    If you leave it on for say 10 minutes, then turn it off and back on; what happens?
    Tom
  3. Paul Hirsch

Paul Hirsch New Member

still the same, tascam service was telling me how to reset but this did also not work.
    Paul
  4. Dave K

Dave K New Member

Gear:
    FW-1082
    I have the same problem and trying to find where it comes from... It does work again for like 15 minutes when i turn it off but then everything turns off again except the light for the stop button... also one thing i noticed was that the led light on the power supply was fading out considerably with time then goes back to full when i turn off the FW-1082. Therefore it makes me believe that the problem could come from the power supply but i can't be sure as i don't have another power supply to compare and can't afford 48€ to buy a new one just to do a test and eventually find out that this was not the issue...

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Take care
  5. justin_havu

justin_havu New Member

Gear:
    FW-1082, Portastudio 414
    I know this is an old topic, but mine's doing the same thing. Regardless of whether or not the FireWire cable is connected, all I get on powerup is the STOP button. Bought the 1082 from eBay which, according to the seller, was in "perfect cosmetic and working condition." Not too happy right now, as I was REALLY looking forward to mixing without having to do the majority of the work with a mouse.
  6. DeeringAmps

DeeringAmps Member

Gear:
    FW-1884
    This sounds like the issue described in Service Bulletin o341r.

Symptom: Occasionally the unit does not boot. At this time,
    only STOP LED lights.
    Cause: +5 V has been supplied to U16 (PLL, Main FW PCB Assy)
    from two different sources.
    If there is a time difference between them upon booting,
    U16-14 will not generate the internal clock causing no boot.

Solution: Supply +5 V from an identical source (U49-3).
    This change has been made on the products with S/No. 0080551 and higher.

HTH,
    Tom