TASCAM FW-1884: Brianless / Reset Firmware memory ROM

huercuhi

Gear owned
TASCAM FW-1884
Hello, I hope you can help me.

TASCAM FW-1884 damage symptoms:

At the start it is usually all leds lit and immediately left on the clock only and within seconds the firewire port, determining that it was synchronized with the computer.

Currently only the STOP LED lights and 6 and 8 faders up, being completely blocked. Do not set any communication with the computer, which allows the driver and reinstalled the firmware, not react to commands that reset and returned to its factory settings.

Apparently there is no physical damage, just this deprogrammed!

I went to a technician who did several tests, found no physical damage, but could not reschedule without a computer, the technician proposed to change the firewire port only to discard it.

As we researched it may have been damaged due to incorrect installation or firmware update. One option could be to change the ROM where you installed the firmware, but it is difficult and expensive to get to my TASCAM FW-1884 in Colombia.

Does anyone know how to fix it? or can you give me some guidance with this type of case?

Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and opinions.

Hi, I have just updated the FW-1884 yesterday and got the same symptoms. Faders blocked and STOP button permanently ON.

I will try to roll back the firmware and see if it goes back to normal. Otherwise changing the ROM would be probably difficult.

Will get back to you as soon as I have something.

If someone knows what to do, I need the same help.

Reactions: AlanL
Re: TASCAM FW-1884: Brianless / Reset Firmware memory ROM SO

I have just run the Firmware update from Tascam 173_49.

I went to STEP 2 of the installer and pressed Update Older Devices.

After that I followed the instructions. I turned off my tascam, I rebooted and VOILA!
The card went back to normal!

I thought I had fried it! But it works fine again. Well fine is not the correct word because I always had dropouts due to my motherboard firewire I think. But this is another issue.

Anyway, this worked just fine on my machine. I hoped this helped.
Please try to verify that this could be a solution to your problem before you try it, just to make sure that you don't ruin the rom.

Best Regards!

Reactions: AlanL
In my case, the problem is that I have not any kind of communication with the computer to try reinstall it from the program. I have the hope that a technician can help me by removing and reinstalling the chip, then I tell if it worked or not. Regards!

Make sure that you indeed don't have any communication with the computer. I thought I hadn't, but I did. When you try to install the firmware like I did, I saw that the Tascam was detected although it seemed like it didn't. What I mean is that it may be unresponsive, but if you run the firmware installer you could see it Connected. You can also see that from the black screen (I don't remember the name) with green letters which says "Connected to Tascam"

Hi,

I have the same problem!!!. FADERS 6 and 8 blocked, and STOP button permanently ON.

I did try reinstall firmware but do not work. The installer say my firmware version is 135/0 this is an error!!!

Help me please!!

Hello, I'm sorry if you have the same problem.

I'll tell you what happened to me untill now:

After to bringing the Tascam FW-1884 with various technicians, I found someone who understood wich is the damage. We have to get the factory firmware and reinstall it again in the microcontroller (ATMEL AT91M42800A), you need a qualified technician with a special machine to record it and reinstall it. My technician also found other damages after of measuring voltages in the clock and a memory. He can fixed and turn it on again, but the same damage returns. The conclusion (with 90% chance) is to change the firewire component Philips PDI1394P23BD - 64 pines TQFP (encapsulated) to firewire, but still can't find it in my country (Colombia)... excuse my english!

I couldn't even tell you that I have the final solution, we keep trying to fix it.
I hope this information will serve something. When I Know more I'll post the results.

Hi huercuchi,

Im from Ecuador, please let me know what happends with your tascam.

Please check this site, there is a TASCAM representative in Colombia!!! Maybe they can help us!!!

http://www.teacmexico.net/
Yamaki S.A.S.
Av. Boyacá No. 71-73
Bogotá D.C., Colombia
Tel. (57 1) 438 5285 -5470020
www.yamaki.com.co

Regards,
Nelson

Nelson gracias por el dato, no tenia ni idea que estaban aquí en Bogotá, espero contactarlos sin problemas. Te dejo mi emai: huercuhi@yahoo.com para irte contando como va la reparación y aconsejarte que puedes hacer desde Ecuador. Saludos!

Dear friend,
I faced the same problems when i update the firmware of my fw1884 gear and lost my peace for several days.. but finally i gave rebirth to my fw1884. Here I am giving the details of procedure what i did for a successful updation of the firmware.

1. Use Texas xio2213a 800MHz fire-wire card with 6-pin to 9-pin (400-800) adpter
2. PC with Windows XP SP2
3. Install the fw1884 driver ver 1.80
4. Firmware Updater 183_49

Boot the PC with the above software and turn on the FW1884 after detecting and configuring the devices run the firmware updater and follow the wizard. Turn off fw1884 and restart PC. Reboot computer and the card then you can see the running TASCAM FW 1884. Madhu.M.S

Re: TASCAM FW-1884: Brianless / Reset Firmware memory ROM SO

I have just run the Firmware update from Tascam 173_49.

I went to STEP 2 of the installer and pressed Update Older Devices.

After that I followed the instructions. I turned off my tascam, I rebooted and VOILA!
The card went back to normal!

I thought I had fried it! But it works fine again. Well fine is not the correct word because I always had dropouts due to my motherboard firewire I think. But this is another issue.

Anyway, this worked just fine on my machine. I hoped this helped.
Please try to verify that this could be a solution to your problem before you try it, just to make sure that you don't ruin the rom.

Best Regards!

Hello, I realise this is an old post, but I have the same issue as above. What O/S did you have installed when you did the firmware installer? I have Win 10 and I receive an error message ERROR Flash Erase and then Error CRC error?

New threads

Members online